Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

DALE HOLLOW REPORT 10-13

Well a group of us just got back from the Hollow. We stayed 4 days and tried our luck with the FLOAT N FLY.

I will say, it was a learning experience. We had a rough first couple days. The lake had us baffled. Fished around Cedar Hill and that area till the third day when we traveled up to Hendricks Creek. There I bumped into a guide, Bobby Gentry. What a nice guy. Really took time to help us out, and help he did. So much that Im coming back in two weeks to fish with him for a day in search for a biggin.

Anyway, not to stray off too much, we modified our presentations, doped the crap out of our jigs, switched to a different presentation and WHAM!.......Got a 19" beauty on my second cast. Absolutely rediculous. What a difference some advice makes. We kept fishin, still kinda guessing our way around the middle of the lake and boated 5 more. (15,15,17,19,20,20) in total.

The following day we only managed 2 fish before we had to pack up and leave.

All but one fish were caught on the FNF. We fished 9-11 feet down. 10 feet is perfect right now. We used a 1/16 oz jig, primarily that grey duck feather, with chartruese on the bottom and a little blue. That worked the best. Make sure the dope is on that sucker. Find a bit of wind, and work your boat in 25-35 ft of water.

Im no pro, but thats what we did. Lot of fun. If you want more pointers and want to get out, check out www.bobbygentry.com

Give him a call......Its worth it.

I will get some pics up when i get the photos developed.

Ropes

Post Thanks / Like

RE: DALE HOLLOW REPORT 10-13

Dude...your hooked now:) Seriuosly...if you wanna' hook up with few that's fished it for years, e-mail me over at the Nitro/Tracker owner's website and you'll find out why Dale is still on top as #1:)

Post Thanks / Like

TEE Whats the email address?

whats the email address?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: TEE Whats the email address?

Just come on over to nitroowners.com:)

Post Thanks / Like

RE: DALE HOLLOW REPORT 10-13

Ropes, I have heard when you apply your fish dope that you don't apply it to the hair of the jigs, but you put it on the head of the jig, I thought this was a little off. I have used scents before and applied it to the hairs of the jig, but have not purchased the fish dope yet. I have caught a few on the float and fly without the dope but probably will get some when I find it. I was told with certain jigs if you applied the fish dope to the hairs it would hinder the action of the jig. Thanks for the help and a good report.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish Dope...

I am not a pro but to my understanding the dope can be used in many different ways. It can be added to just the head and not the hairs to keep the action of the jig in tact. It can also be added to the hairs to streamline them to look like a Threadfin Shad. The latter is what worked for me this past trip but I have caught fish both ways. I personally don't think the Dope is a fish attractant myself. I think it puts the "Slime" feel to the bait and does smell and probably taste a little like Garlic which is a Smallie plus. Maybe when the fish bites the jig and feels that slime she knows or thinks it is a real shad and will hold on that much longer. I do believe that the Dope will cover any human scent up on the jig. With your hands in gloves or your pockets a bunch of times, I would say a lot of not fish catching scent could be transfered to the jig. I am going to get some of the fish garlic powder and petroleum jelly and try to make my own since the Dope is $6 per bottle. I think by heating the petroleum jelly on the stove and adding the powder to let it release its flavor plus a little glitter to resemble scales you will get pretty much the same. I have not tried it but plan on it the next couple of weeks.

Another piece of advice on the Fish Dope, I wiped my hands off on a towel the other day that had Dope on them. Later I picked up that same towel and Blew my Nose, yep, Fish Dope all over my face nose mustache all day. Try to get Vaseline off of your face in the middle of the lake at 20 degrees. I had that wonderful Garlic taste / smell on me all day. No Vampires of miles.

I see it now, Woody's Homemade Garlic Fish Dope - 12 Pound Smallie - World Record - Retirement (At least thats the plan)

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ropes

Were you the guys that were staying at Horse Creek in the motel, and driving the white Ranger.