>the 3-way gives the fly
    >a different action. You can
    >actually "bounce the bobber" in
    >place.
    >
    > It's easy to see rather
    >than explain though.,,,
    >

I can visualize that !! "Rocking" the bobber, rather than actually pulling the bobber towards you. And you would be imparting action on the leader/jig (by way of the 3way swivel) .. without bringing the bobber towards the boat. I assume that's done by "shaking" the rod tip/line (imparting the tiniest amount of pull on the swivel). Point taken.

But that still doesn't address the issue of - 1knot/3line wraps around the bobber clamp .. versus .. 2knots/swivel ring hooked in bobber clamp -- and which one (if either) is the stronger connection. The jury is still out on that one ........... cp

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Devils Advocate vs the Experts

I was reading all of your posts with great interest and I learned alot. I am a novice at this method but I had an Idea. Why not use a slip bobber and set the depth to your liking? I am curious to read your responses. I have used this method while crappie fishing, but I must admit I have never hooked a big smallie.

Post Thanks / Like

You need the weighted bobber to help you cast and I don't think the jig would be heavy enough to pull the line through the slip bobber.

Post Thanks / Like

>I was reading all of your
    >posts with great interest and
    >I learned alot. I am
    >a novice at this method
    >but I had an Idea.
    >Why not use a slip
    >bobber and set the depth
    >to your liking? I am
    >curious to read your responses.
    >I have used this method
    >while crappie fishing, but I
    >must admit I have never
    >hooked a big smallie.

The use of a slip float has been a point of contention ... much as the pear shaped plastic float vs the weighted styrofoam float. Some say they use it with good results, while others say it doesn't work well. A 1/32oz-1/16oz jig does seem to have trouble pulling wet line thru a slip float ... and since flurocarbon line sinks faster than mono, it would only seemingly compound the problem. The type of "retainer" used would/could also interfere with the cast, by hanging up (even momentarily) in the line guides, when casting. By "retainer", I'm referring to the "thread knot", "rubber slip-on ball", or "2hole or 4hole plastic dogbone/ladder shaped" slip float stopper. The "thread" & "rubber" ones are prone to sliding on the line, from hanging in the guides or tip-eye. The plastic ones are prone to hanging in the tip-eye, or crimping the line. Either one has the possiblity of hanging up in the line on the line spool of the reel. And, if you are using a braid for the main line, it is "slicker" than mono/fluro ... which could compound the, "slipping" of the stopper, problem.
    The use of the float/jig (aka FnF method) for Crappie, usually doesn't seem to require as long a cast, as it does when fishing for Bass.
    All this "info" is just IMHO .... as I'm no expert on FnF -- heck, I'm not even a "novice" at it....LOL!!! ....luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Terry,

Fishing for smallmouth in clear water is a task. Most of the waters in Dale or Cumberland are gin clear most of the time. So you have to stay off them or look for wind.....

Wind will pull the jig up out of the strike zone. The wind we fished in last Wed, Thurs, and Sat on Dale Hollow would have really pulled them up.

Billy

Redneckshadrap
    www.thecreekbank.com
    redneckshadrap@insightbb.com

Post Thanks / Like

RE: FLOAT&FLY

i have been floating the fly for 10+ years and one knot at the fly is all you need! keep it simple and you will catch more fish. all i use is 4lb xcaliber silverthread and have zero problems unless i catch a few small 3lb fish and dont retie. when it is 10 degrees with a windchill of below zero it is not fun to tie a bunch of knots and i would not rely on my drag when it gets that cold!! you must backreel and you need to practice backreeling on a few small fish before you get hooked up on a bruiser!!!!!<((((>{

Post Thanks / Like

RE: FLOAT&FLY

"you must backreel and you need to practice backreeling on a few small fish before you get hooked up on a bruiser"

Not necessarily so. Backreeling can create just as much friction as a drag. The problem that gets most folks is the continual reeling while the fish is taking drag.
    It'll work both ways, but I'd hate to steer someone into losing a bigfish trying it for the first time.

Billy

Redneckshadrap
    www.thecreekbank.com
    redneckshadrap@insightbb.com