Search Fishin.com

Thread: FNF help

Post Thanks / Like

FNF help

I started the float and fly thing this winter. I have all the rigging, components, etc. down. My question is "what kind of spots are you looking for, in general, to throw the thing?" I've used it the last the last three trips out (I'm new at it), and have caught enough trout to fill a couple of boats - still no brown or green fish. I have set my jig depth anywhere from 8 -to- 15 feet (should have seen me trying to get a trout in the boat with a 15' leader!) The lake I'm fishing is full of smallmouths. I have fished points, banks, creeks, main lake, etc.

I'm not asking for a lake or a GPS point, I'm asking - where on a lake should I begin my search? Water temp. is currently 40-44 degrees?

Thanks in advance for your replies and help.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: FNF help

I like fishing the Steep Rock Bluffs with a Float and Fly Rig.I have my best results that way .But that's on Cherokee .I use a leader of 10ft and 4 lb. test Yellow Stren .almost like fishing for Crappie but bounce the Float which moves the Jig vertical and then down.Claer as mud.Good Luck
    ... YANK

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, when the water gets down to 40 or below, I start with the main lake bluffs and bluffs just up inside the major creek arms. If that does not work, I will try deeper points on the north bank of the lake (If Black Shale Bank all the better). I found that when the temp is in Mid 40's and above they will still be up in the creeks still concentrating on bluffs and deep points. Don't overlook the cuts and nooks in these bluff walls for they are hot spots, especially if there is a good water depth change associated with the cuts.

Personal opinion, depth and presentation is CRITICAL for the FNF. Too deep and the fish will not look down to feed, too shallow and they will not come up very far to feed, too fast of movement and the jig will not look natural for this time of year. I think slower and shallower is better than faster and deeper when working the jig. I have caught many fish when the jig was sitting there doing absolutely nothing so I know the fish got a real good look at it before biting. I always start at 10 feet deep or so and will move up to 8' deep before going down to 12. This is what I do, hope it helps.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-06 AT 09:42PM (EST)[/font][p]I would tend to agree with the above comments. I will fish the secondary points and bluffs up the creek arms. Any little cut along a bluff can be a hot spot. Always make several casts to the center of the cut before moving on. I also agree with the depth issue and how you work the lure. Almost always my fish will come between 8 - 12 feet. If the water is very clear and it is a bright day always fish in the shade and fish the jig a little deeper (12 feet). On cloudy days you can fish the areas that you can not fish when it is sunny and I would start out at 10 feet. I will always look for the bait fish when I am fishing and they are usually up the creeks in the winter. They also like to suspend in the center of cuts and hollows which is what makes the cuts so good to fish. Good luck and do not give up on the FnF. It really works and is a blast!!

Post Thanks / Like

What lake do you typically fish with the FnF?

Post Thanks / Like

Stcroix123,
    Mainly fish Laurel Lake in Kentucky but I spend quite a bit of time on Norris - almost equal time, actually.

I tried to fish Norris yesterday (Sunday)during the winter monsoon season - that was a treat - but didn't FNF at all.

I don't plan on giving up on it. I love winter time fishing and I know it works. I'm a patient man - it'll come.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

>Stcroix123,
    >
    >
    >Mainly fish Laurel Lake in
    >Kentucky but I spend quite
    >a bit of time on
    >Norris - almost equal time,
    >actually.
    >
    >I tried to fish Norris yesterday
    >(Sunday)during the winter monsoon season
    >- that was a treat
    >- but didn't FNF at
    >all.
    >
    >I don't plan on giving up
    >on it. I love
    >winter time fishing and I
    >know it works. I'm
    >a patient man - it'll
    >come.
    >
    >

LRB,
    How deep do you fish the FNF at Laurel? I've tried at 10-15 ft. with limited success. And I know guys that remove the float, fish the same type fly on a little heavier jig head (3/16) but much deeper -- up to 40-50 feet. I'd love to be able to slay 'em on the FNF, but we just seem to have better luck getting those deep fish with a Silver Buddy than trying to get them to come up 30+ feet after the fly.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fishing it 8-15 feet deep. I mainly fish by myself and I don't think I could get a fish in with a leader longer than 15 feet. Like I wrote earlier, I can catch 20-30 trout a day in Laurel with the FNF - but haven't caught the first bass.

I have heard, just like you, that most of the guys on Laurel are going without the floater - that might be the trick.

I've never done very good with a Silver Buddy but I have had some great days with a spoon or Little George on that lake. I have never fished a Silver Buddy that I didn't leave on the bottom of the lake. I get hung up every time.