Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bass fishing Reelfoot Lake

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on bass fishing for someone coming from out of state in early March. I understand the sensitive nature of giving up a good fishin' hole, but I'm trying to do some research on Reelfoot Lake before I come to Tennessee. Perhaps someone might know of a good Web site or could suggest a book about fishing the lake. Anything would be a big help. I'm hoping the Tennessee bass-swager proves to be all it is wrapped up to be. And yes, I plan to hit the crappies, too.

Thanks much!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Bass fishing Reelfoot Lake

I fish Reelfoot every Spring for crappie and make several more trips for bass and catfish. March can be OK for bass but I'd not expect a very good bite. It's usually still slow until April but the weather and water temps will make the final decisions. I prefer April-mid June for the best bass, water lilly and almost any cover will hold good bass. Good luck whenever you go and most any spot is as good as the next!

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-06 AT 05:26PM (EST)[/font][p]My wife and I hit reelfoot a couple times a year for bass. Early in the year we have had pretty good luck with a weedless leadhead jig 1/8oz (walmart)and a 4" thru 10"in long grayshad culprit worm. on cold front days, cloudy ,wind fish 4" next to the base of the trees as the sun comes out and water warms fish bigger and farther away from the stumps and roots. We have done real good for years on the bank on Samburg side down to bluebank with this situp ,,,hope this helps you. There is a restraunt on the south end across from the Park that has family syle food. They fry chicken to die for, with taters and gravy my god my mouth waters thinking about it.Shoal runner is right on the time but with the weather we have been having I would not be afraid to head down sooner Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stratosjoe. We'll give it a try. A few friends of mine tried Reelfoot in March 2005 and had a little bit of luck offf Green Island Point. Have you ever had any success up in that area? I also wonder about Upper Blue Basin, though I realize this is a long way off from Samburg. Any thoughts on that part of the lake. The resturant sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

The upper Blue basin is extremely shallow and stumpy. All the lake has stumps and submerged wood, but that part of the lake is challenging at best but I have caught loads of fish there on occassions when the wind is almost calm. Since I fish out of an Alweld with jet, shallow is no issue but the stumps still catch me at times. I see the weather is set to make a real winter turn for a couple weeks, so if the water temps drop it will slow whatever bite there has been to date. Good luck no matter!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, shoalrunner, I appreciate the tips. I'm looking forward to coming to the lake, even if conditions are tough. But when you can't fish bass until the end of May in the area I live, any conditions will be better than being here. Thanks again.