Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Need info in the Ranger Z series boat

Particularliy the 21 - 22 ft lengths. Have a buddy that is considering buying one and needs input from a present owner on perfomance, ride, issues, etc. Not looking for an argument or brand war about boat brands or why another brand is better. Just some straight up info from anyone that has or had one. All and any info on likes, dislikes, what they think could have been better, etc. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Need info in the Ranger Z series boat

I dont have one but my fishing partner just bought one and I think they are a great boat. However if I was to go out and buy a new ranger I would probably stick with a 520 or 521. They are just as good of a boat but about $10,000 cheaper. That is just my $.02 worth. But if money is no option I would go with the one I saw at the boat show in Lexington a few weeks ago. A Z21 that was black on the bottom and the top was like a smoke color with flake in it. That would be the boat I would buy. Beautiful boat for only $47,000.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a 520, I have a 97 482 and love the ride. But my buddy has a 2004 520 and he doesn't like how it handles the really rough water (chop/swells 2.5ft and up) very well. He told me there has been other 520's owners that feel the same way, that the 520 hull design was not Rangers best.

Now from what he and I have both heard, the Z used the 520 hull design. But maybe they tweaked it a little to handle the rough water better. And like I also told him, going up a foot in length alone will smooth out the ride.

He fished the Northern Everstart Trail last year and got beat up pretty bad on Erie (along with alot of other folks) and another body of water. So he is just hoping he can smooth out the ride just a little more.

With all the incentives to Ranger owners with the Everstart and FLW trails (which he qualified to fish this year) he'd be crazy not to stick with Ranger.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-06 AT 06:17PM (EST)[/font][p]Duplicate message deleted, sorry

Post Thanks / Like

If money is no issue go for it, BUT The 201 stratos is a really nice ride for about 10 -15 thousand less. Also they have the same incentive monies for flw and stren series . Hey Genmar owns both boat companies so why not the same incentives.