Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tennessee Record Pics

Does anyone know of a site or link to pics of record fish of any species caught in Tennessee? A lot of new state records in the last fifteen years and can't find any pics of these fish. Method of capture as well. I'm curios about the carp records in TN as to whether they were caught on rod and reel or by bowfishing.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Tennessee Record Pics

I don't know of any site showing pictures of Tennessee record fish. There is a site with pictures of some of the "certificate" fish cited in the TARP program, but those aren't record fish, just big ones. The site is here:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/tarp/tarp.html

However, I may be able to answer your question about "method of capture." Tennessee maintains separate lists for fish caught by rod and reel and fish caught by other methods. The lists are here:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/FishRecTbl.html

As you can see, the rod and reel state record for carp is 42 lbs. 8 oz., and the "other methods" carp record was caught by bowfishing and weighed 52 lbs. 14 oz. It seems like either of those records would be pretty breakable if you set your mind to it.

bd

Post Thanks / Like

There may be a couple on this web site.. http://mrriver.com/records.html

Post Thanks / Like

There could be a major flaw in Tennessee's record reguarding carp. They have an Israeli Carp record from Marrowbone Lake in 1997 and the current Common Carp record from Boone Lake. The problem is that genetically these are identical species of fish. The only diference is an Israeli, or mirror carp as it is commonly caused, has a genetic anomoly that causes it to have little or no scales, and/or enlarged scales. But this comparable to an animal being albino. They are still the exact same species of fish. With this said, the Marrowbone fish should replace the Boone Lake fish as the only record.

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares its a carp! ha (joke) I disagree i think that genetic anomoly is common from species to species. You wouldn't compare a spotted bass to a largemouth, or a black-nose crappie to a white crappie. anyway I've seen some monster carp in boone esp. at sonny's where they get fed french fries all day long through the summer, but i don't think there is anymore 50lbers in there though.

Post Thanks / Like

You raise an interesting point. It looks like you're correct - scientifically, both common carp and israeli carp are listed as "cyprinus carpio." After looking at it, I guess I'm not sure why Tennessee keeps separate record listings, unless it's just an old category that dates back to when people thought they were different species.

bd

Post Thanks / Like

All of those species of bass and crappie are different species of fish, even having different scientific names. Israeli carp and common carp are the same species of fish. Biologists attribute the different scale patterns more to something like an "albino" gene. It's just a genetic quirk.

Post Thanks / Like

The tough issue comes if you catch a fish that beats the record in one category, but not both. Then you've got to decide how strongly you feel about consolidating the categories...

bd

Post Thanks / Like

Try this URL there are no pictures but all of the records.

http://www.hotspotfishing.com/record...-Tennessee.asp

Post Thanks / Like

Quirk or difference?

Ok, same name but can it possibly be that that quirk as you call it changes the growth rate of fish with that genetic quirk. OR changes the probability that the fish will survive like albinism in deer or other animals?
    In either case I have no problem with 2 records.. in that it is interesting that one species has such an anomaly. Why not have a record for Anomalous fish in a species?
    Jim