Search Fishin.com

Thread: Watts Bar

GRR Guest

Watts Bar

My brother recently bought a home right in the water at Watts Bar. I'm not even sure where abouts it is other than the southern part of the lake. I was thinking of heading down there from Indiana to visit him for several days the last weekend in March. I'm hauling along the bass boat for some fishing. What's the fishing like there then? I'll probabaly do both bass fishing and crappie fishing. I'm not asking for anyones favorite spots, just looking for some general info and if the lake has some decent fishing. I've never heard alot of talk about this lake.

Thanks in advance,
    GRR

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Watts Bar

GPR,

I run a tournament for Midwest Sportsamn out of the Dam. If you want you can E-mail me or call me closer to the time you want to come down and I can give you some up to date info. the fishing that time of year is pretty good as long as we don't have any major cold fronts.

Be glad to help,

Doug Grimm
    Midwest Sportsman
    Director of Promotions &
    Watts Bar Lake Director
    Home: 1-(865)-769-5249
    Cell: 1-(865)-680-6400
    E-Mail: douggrimm@comcast.net
    www.midwest-sportsman.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie should be good then if the weather keeps warming we've caught some good fish already but they should be getting better by then just look for brush arond the creek mouths or up in them some or anywhere the water has a little current moving past an area they can stage and ambush bait as it comes by

Post Thanks / Like

Whereabouts did your brother move? I just bought a house on Watts Bar, too. I am right at Long Island about 1 1/2 miles upstream (Tennessee River) of the Hwy 58 bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, Don Eden at Edens Marina should have some good info.

Post Thanks / Like

>By the way, Don Eden at
    >Edens Marina should have some
    >good info.

Actually that's Don York, of Eden Marina. And, yes ... he would be able to give you a current report. Ph # - 423-365-6929

Shooting jigs under deep water docks should get you into some good Black Crappie action. White Crappie should still be out in the deeper brush or along channel breaks. Smallmouth should be good on bluff walls or deep shale banks. Largemouth should be good on deep structure (if water still cool) or lurking around shallow brush (if water has warmed up). Water temps are around the 50deg mark, right now ... and water levels won't be going up to pool until mid April (if TWRA maintains their new water level schedule).
    Just be aware of the size/creel limits for the species you're after: Crappie 10" 30/day/angler - Smallmouth 18" Largemouth 15" 5/day/angler ............. cp