Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1st trip Reelfoot

Planning a trip to Reelfoot lake for the first time on March 13.
    Three of us are going and we will be fishing for anything that is biting. Does anyone have any advice about how to catch crappie, bluegill and bass here? Any help is appreciated and I will post results later.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

RE: 1st trip Reelfoot

We will be going April 5-9 this year. You can expect a good crappie bite if the weather holds close to normal and winds are light. Check out ALL the reports before you go, but obviously that is just a hint. Jigs and jigs tipped with Crappie Nibbles are good bets and minnows are just plain hard to beat. Bass will be slow unless the temps stay warm and the water continues to rise. Good luck.........Shoalrunner

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-06 AT 01:02AM (EST)[/font][p]Try trolling around fishing with minnows or jigs with minnows be sure and fish around the duckblinds thery can hold some good fish If the weather stays good it's not going to be hard to catch them just about anywhere great lake

Post Thanks / Like

for bass try the east bank with small grayshad culprits with 1/8 worm weight pegged. My wife tears em up bouncing them down the cypress roots. I use large white with twin blade spinnerbaits. hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like

We will also be there4/2-6. In the past we were always told by the locals that it was too late for crappie and we were better off finhing gills. The only time we fished for crappie was in March in open water.....Bad weather, froze our butt off. Are you saying that we should be able to catch crappie in early April? Appreciate your opinion....

Post Thanks / Like

We will be there same time April 5-9 and it's not too late at all. Actually, you should be able to catch plenty and good size. I used to go in March and froze my Butt off too. Windy and rainy and COLD! Now we go first week of April. Good luck and may even see you there, we are staying at Reelfoot Lake Inn and be in a 16ft jet. Shoalrunner

Post Thanks / Like

The results are in, not proud of them, caught about twenty crappie the three days I was there. I found it hard to fish a lake that I have never been to, especially without the right equipment. The weather was cold and windy, which made it hard to fish spots really hard. Most of the poeple that had been before did a lot better than my group. Spider rigging seem to pay off in the wind and made me realize that a rookie crappie fishermen needs all the help he can get in a new environment, with bad weather. Did not bass fish much, seemed like the only bite there were the crappie. Stayed at Eagle Nest Resort and the poeple were real nice there. Reelfoot lake is a real pretty place and I will definitely be back there to try it again.
    Let me know if anyone has other reports of Reelfoot

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joe,
    We've been coming down to Reelfoot for a few years now but we mostly pan fish. Might give bass a try this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you crappie fish in the open water this time of year or around the trees ??

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. We have been going to Reelfoot for a few years now and have had a couple of trips like yours. We started out in middle to late May and pretty much had to Gill fish. Not that I'm complaining we caught a boat load and the size is great. We got it in our minds for a couple of years that we wanted to crappie fish and were told to come earlier. Tried March a couple of years--BAD weather--Froze our butts off. Did catch a few but not sure it was worth it. One guy with us caught a 3 1/4 pounder. Even had the boys at the dock lookin it over. We have stayed at eagles nest since the second year. Love it.

Post Thanks / Like

i will be down on the weekend of the 7th for the first time ever going seems like this is a really good lake to go to i have only heard good things from it

Post Thanks / Like

IT'S A LOT OF FUN AND YOU SHOULD CATCH SOME FISH. IT'S A ALSO A NATURE RESERVE. lOTS OF EAGLES AND SUCH.