Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question regarding the Drop shot set-up...

i just read an article on drop shot fishing for deep water largemouth bass and it got my attention. my questions are:

1) Can this rig be fished pretty much any time of the year and still have a good success rate?

2) what are some choice plastics as well as colors to use with this set-up?

3) Can this rig be fished at any time of the day or is it better at certain times than others?

Just looking for any info regarding this set-up. thanks in advance for any info!

Tight lines to all!

T.Kennel

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Question regarding the Drop shot set-up...

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-06 AT 09:36PM (EST)[/font][p]I am in no way and expert but have been using the rig about 3 years now. So heres my take:

1.) Yes the rig can be fished anytime of the year, BUT there are certain times when other rigs are better choices, Spawn & prespawn, schooling fish, etc. I like it best when the bite is tough, clearer water, cooling water in the fall, bunched up suspended fish off deep points that dont want to bite, etc.

2.) There is a ton of baits out there specifically for the DropShot. I like Zoom 4" worms like the Finesse, Bungee and Meathead. The small 3" sluggo, small grubs, tiny brush hogs, etc. Experiment, you'll find something you really like and it will become your confident bait.

3.) They can be used all day, depends on what the fish want. Its not my favorite way to fish, so I generally start out the AM with baits I can fish fast, then go to plastics or jigs if there is alot of cover and if all else fails I break out the DS.

Dont buy into the special drop shot weight thing though. They all want big money for this "special" weight. Use the Water Gremlin or similar type bass weight with brass swivel at the top. Lots less expensive.

Also, experiment with hooks, use the circle hooks and nose hook the bait when there is little or no cover to snag up in. If there are weeeds or more wood around try an little #1 of 1/0 worm hook and T-rig the bait. You'll snag up a lot less.

Another thing to try is to hook up a jig or T-rig worm at the bottom of the rig instead of a weight,The you have the best of both worlds and you might be lucky emough to cath 2 at once. I did it, had one hooked on the DS hook and another bass came up and grabed the jig trailing behind it, both around 2 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Question regarding the Drop shot set-up...

Fishhead,

Thanks for the reply. i am looking forward to trying this method out. but wont be till later spring or early summer when the water comes up. I have printed off your post. i am just looking for other ways of bass fishing when the norms dont work(ie. crank baits, texas and carolina rigged plastics, spinner baits and what not). also have never tried deep water fishing for bass so it will be something new and exciting to try. again thanks for the reply.

Tight Lines,

T. Kennel