Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Take a kid fishing.... best places.... boat or bank??

Heard lots about white bass, stripers, walleye, crappie fishing in the spring and numbers of fish up in the rivers. Any advice as to when/where to take an 8 yr old to catch some numbers of fish. Boat or bank best? Never been, but heard lots of stories and would like some input from the experts.

Thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Take a kid fishing.... best places.... boat or bank??

What river are you wanting to fish? I spend alot of time with my 5 year old boy on the clinch. The white bass make a good run in the spring and you can get into alot of them. We also enjoy trout fishing, they are easy year round. Skipjacks are another fish we like to target. They are easy to catch and loads of fun on light tackle. There is so much to do around knoxville its hard to say whats the best place to go.

Post Thanks / Like

For an 8-year-old who isn't experienced at fishing, the best bet is going to be bluegill fishing. The bluegill are going to be bedding in the next couple months and will offer fast action in shallow water. White bass, skipjack, etc. can offer fast action too, but they're less dependable than bluegill and might take a little more skill.

bd

Post Thanks / Like

Carp. Chum with corn then using a small hook and split shot you can slay them. Best places will be summertime shallow coves. Don't let the kids leave the rod unattended or you'll either loose it or bust it scrabblin.

Post Thanks / Like

More familiar with Norris, Cherokee or Douglas as far as the actual locations, however as I said didn't know whether to take a boat and go up river or bank fish in the shallows...

Post Thanks / Like

I am not from TN but I have some experience with kids and fishing. Kids want action when they fish and they like to explore. If you go and don't do well they won't have fun. Size of the fish doesn't matter. That is why the one post suggesting bluegill fishing works because you can often catch many in a short time.

My best success with kid fishing has been small streams. If you do a little homework and can find a small stream with a lot of fish and easy to wade it can be a blast. Small ultralight spinning outfits with small spinners (rooster tail) and small crank baits -- 1.5" floating rapala/small rebel craw are my favorites and can catch about anything that swims. Plus my kids really enjoyed the creeks flipping over rocks, chasing crawfish, and netting minnows. Bring a bucket and a minnow net along and let the kids explore as well as fish.

kc