Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Low water at Dale - pattern change?

Hello all,

I'm getting psyched about my April trip to Dale, this'll be my 15th spring in a row. I'll be there 4-17 thru 4-26.

I'm a little concerned with the water level. I can only remember one spring in the last 15 years the water was so low, about '95-'96 I think, and we didn't catch hardly anything on that trip. I personally prefer the fishing when the water is up in the buck brush and cedars on the clay banks.

I just checked the TVA page and the level is about 5' lower than the average March level. I know a lot can change in a short time with a few good rains, but if the lake stays low this spring, what does that do for the spawning patterns - and how do you all change your fishing locations, if at all? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Low water at Dale - pattern change?

Just go to the best looking flats with deeper water near by. Take plenty of 5" kalin grubs (white, chart, smoke) and use a 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig head with a large hook. Fan cast the flats and reel very slowly making sure you are keeping contact with the bottom or ticking the weeds. Try this at different locations on the flat especially where it drops into deeper water. I do this every April and it never fails to put alot of fish in the boat. The very best fishing of the day is usually from dawn till about 9 am especially if its sunny. If it is overcast they will stay shallower on the flats and are much easier to catch. Works on long sloping points as well. I wouldn't worry about the low water, they will still hit. Banks with clay always seem to be a plus. April is the best month of the year for numbers and this has worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to hear why they are holding the water at 645 and I'm concerened about the spawn. You know that this will affect the spawn if they keep it down around 645.
    I've been going since 96 and I haven't seen it this low in March. I hope that it fills up quickly, I'm going on the 31st.

I remember reading something last year about TWA or TWRA having some meetings about the water levels at Dale. I can't seem to find the posts. If anyone has any info please respond.

Thanks and Good luck this year.

Fletch

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that the levels have to do with dam work elsewhere? Just what I heard....and I don't think it will effect the spawn like you think. It was down last year too and we did very well...you may have to go a tad deeper.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will hurt the spawn either. Still plenty of good habitat to spawn on Dale. Its really not that low. Lake Cumberland has a much greater water variance and smallmouth still spawn ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that's good news Tee and Plowboy.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Fletch

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-06 AT 09:10AM (EST)[/font][p]I'll agree also what Fred says about the patterns changing when we have weather like this...just keep an open mind this spring and you'll do well. I'm pretty sure it'll be a spinnerbait bite this year. Last year...cranks and shiners won the nod;)

Post Thanks / Like

Low water at Dale

They are keeping the levels lower on Cumberland because of the dam work. Do you think that affects Dales levels too?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Low water at Dale

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-06 AT 08:33PM (EST)[/font][p]Ok guys think about it We have not had THE BIG ONE rain storm that we have had the last 5 yrs. In the past we would get a 4-5 inch rain somewhere around the middle of Feb. If you look at the generation amounts , they are letting very little water out of Dale or Cumberland. Just not very much running in !!!!