Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Striper fishing questions....

I am pretty new to striper fishing and looking for some advice on best techniques used.
    First off, I have heard that fishing a zara spook crank bait in fast water below the dam is a good start. though i am unsure of striper patterns and when the best time to fish for them are. 2nd, i dont have a boat and will be fishing from the shore. i also heard live shad hooked through the back is also a good method.
    I am very interested into hooking up with one these monster fish but just would like some advice as to patterns, spawn, seasons, and best methods (ie. zara spooks, live shad) to catch these fish.

Thanks in advance,

T.Kennel

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Striper fishing questions....

You're on the right track. I like to use Gamakatzu Octopus Circle hooks (2ot - 4ot) in through the mouth and out though the nose of live shad. Below the dams the striper usualy run from 3 lbs to 20lbs. There are bigger ones too, but I don't seem to find them up in the current of the dams. Use live shad 3-5 inches long with about 1 oz of weight. Be ready for snags as they do happen. I usualy run my boat right up to the boils and throw into the boils, so I snag up a fair amount. On the shore it may not be as rough. I would suggest throwing as close to the boils as you can. I oz hair jigs with curly tails work well and although I have not ever caught one with a zara spook, I hear they can be great. In general, I find the dams are best from June through October, although you can catch them there all year round. Stripers like cool water, so they are drawn to this area because the water below the dam is much colder since it is coming from the bottom of the lake above it. I like to fish below Fort Loudoun Dam and Melton Hill Dam and sometimes Watts Bar Dam, but I imagine they are all pretty similar, as long as there are stripers in those waters. I hear below Melton Hill produces bigger striper, but I have had the best luck below Fort Loudoun.

Another pattern to try is at the discahrges of power plants in the winter. I have had excellent luck at Bull Run, Kingston and Gallatin Steam plant (near Nashville). In the winter the bait fish are drawn to the warm water discharged by the plant, which brings in the striper, as well as many other species. If you can stand the cold, you will find that it is your best chance to catch a large striper. In that pattern free swim large shad and skipjack. It can be kind of boring, but it can also be extremely productive. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

DSW,

Thanks for the reply. that does help. i have always wanted to try some striper fishing and really have never known quite how to go about it although i have heard several methods on how to catch them. I do appreciate the help and info. I was beginning to think i wasnt gonna get any replies and have to just go for broke. anyways good fishin' to ya!

-Ted Kennel

Post Thanks / Like

No problem. I'm not a great striper fisherman, but I have been successful with the two methods I mentioned. Good luck!