Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Full Moon

Now that the full moon is over, what suggestions do you guys have for fishing with a full moon at night.
    I have always heard how good this may be but have always struggled when others have had good nights?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Fishing Full Moon

Here are a few from my years of night fishing.

1)In a clear lake when fishing a full moon, some nights the fish will hit better on a shaded bank,

2)If you are fishing a spinnerbait (dropbait style) and are getting hits that are missing the bait try a dark colored blade in the place of chrome or gold. Often they will see the blade flash and hit the blade instead of the bait.

3)On real bright nights avoid letting the moon cast your shadow on the water when fishing close on cover. The fish will see your sillouet just like the do that of a dark colored bait against the sky.

4) while black is the conventional color that is most often recomended for night fishing often purple or red will work better on a bright night.

5) Bigger baits such as 10 inch worms may work better at night than the 6 or 7 inch ones you throw during the day.

Good luck. As always there are no exacts in night fishing just like there are none in day fishing. Fish2win

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Fishing Full Moon

Response may be a little late but I have been very busy as of late.

I mainly target Smallies this time of year at Ky, Dale or Cumberland. I have always experience more fish on Full Moon phase but better fish on New Moon phase. I fish the "shaded" side of the points on the full moon nights with jigs, tubes and drop spinnerbaits. Don't be afraid to move out off the point and fish 20 feet deep for some good fish. Most people (I used to) will cast right up into 1 foot of water and work it back to the boat. the problem is that a lot of the time the boat is sitting on top of them to begin with. Full moon I use Brown, Red and Orange in my color scheme. New Moon Black, Purple and Darker colors (I always have a Black and Blue tied on at all times) Short arm spinnerbait with big single colorado in black blade and skirt is top choice. Slow roll keeping in contact with bottom or rip it off bottom then let if flutter back to the bottom all the way to the boat will work.

Big Heads calls for C-Rig ledges, humps and dropoffs with 10" Power Worms, Big Paddle Tail worms, big jigs with rattles and trailers, Dark Colors always at night for Big Heads for me. More scent more rattle the better I think. I even try a Deep Crank with rattle at times but not very often. Usually when all else fails is when the crank comes out of the box. Hope this helps

Tight Lines