Search Fishin.com

Thread: Centerhill Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Centerhill Lake

HI fellow fisherman,
    Heading there next week for some smallmouth fishing and will be staying at a marina up by the dam. I would sincerely appreciate any helpful tips or info for fishing there in the fall. Taking my son with me for his first real fishing trip. Hoping to make it memorable for him. Thanks very much in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Centerhill Lake

Fishing report from Rick Mcferrin / adminstrator of Tennesseebassguides.com week of 09/28/06 Guide: Billy Cambell reporting. Hope it helps and good luck...283

Center Hill
    Low 70's
    16 feet down
    Bass fair to good
    Night Bite on Spinner Baits-Hair jigs 1/8th and 1/4 in dark colors/daytime crank baits-spinner baits and worms-Daytime..drop shots for Spots
    Some Smallmouth being caught in lower end-Bass seem to still be in their summer pattern and the night bite is still the best-some Spots in the jumps-walleye and crappie are slow

Post Thanks / Like

>Fishing report from Rick Mcferrin / adminstrator of
    >Tennesseebassguides.com week of 09/28/06 Guide: Billy
    >Cambell reporting. Hope it helps and good luck...283
    >
    >Center Hill
    >Low 70's
    >16 feet down
    >Bass fair to good
    >Night Bite on Spinner Baits-Hair jigs 1/8th and 1/4 in dark
    >colors/daytime crank baits-spinner baits and
    >worms-Daytime..drop shots for Spots
    >Some Smallmouth being caught in lower end-Bass seem to still
    >be in their summer pattern and the night bite is still the
    >best-some Spots in the jumps-walleye and crappie are slow
    >
    >
    Magician: I meant to add this bit of info to it...sorry. According to Billy's reports the last few weeks the better fishing has been mid lake ( mine line creek area ) and up. I was there three weeks ago looking around for schooling fish above sligo marina and fished for a short time up in falls creek and picked up a few, but nothing big, but that was before the big cool down that we now have. Surface temp was around 80-82 then. C-rig , tx. rig worms in watermellon red and deep cranks in dd22's on points was what worked for us. If your staying on the lower end and don't won't to run that far you can't beat Indian and Holmes creek. Go into Indian creek and check the very back of it. It is a long creek, but stay to the right of it and go till you see the power lines running across the water. Fish that pocket, and the next two on your right and the rock bank going back to them to the boat ramp in the back of it. You just might get your string streched;-) Let us know how you do and good luck...283

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much for the info I will let you know how we did when we return.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like we had better be fishing at night as well....Thanks for the report. Will post when we get back. We are very excited to get there!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, We returned from Centerhill lake after 5 days of some pretty tough fishing. We did manage to catch several small fish during the day mostly spots and a few brown fish. The highlight of the trip came on friday evening as it got closer to dark a huge school of shad moved in to the point we were fishing on. We caught 2 keepers on top water pop-r's. One a 6lb largemouth and the other a 4.5lb smallie. The full moon rose above the lake as it got darker and i tell you that was a beautiful sight to see. Several nights before dark there would be schools of shad everywhere as far as the eye could see. Problem was that there wasn't any fish busting them. I must say as a whole that is one beautiful lake and I definitely will be going back. Thanks for all the helpful information we had an awesome time!!!

Sincerely,

Fishn-Magician

Post Thanks / Like

Fishn-Magician : Sorry about not hollering back at you sooner, just got back in from a nine day vacation myself. Sorry to hear as well your trip was a bit tough, but that is center hill at times it is "feast or famine" is what the locals say, but glad you hooked up with a couple of good ones. If you could make it back around the week before christmas or the week after for a few days you would find a whole different ball game with the fish busting the minnows then with a spoon. Spots that look like a football gourged on the minnows are not uncommon to catch then as well as a few smallmouth and largeheads mixed in at times in the area that I told you about. Three days before and three days after the full moon seems to be the best time around that period of the moon to catch fish, but you are right about the view it is something to see at night on the water when it first comes up. Come back again and see us when you can...283

Post Thanks / Like

hello 283,
    I appreciate you getting back to me...I think I'll take your advice and try it in december. We sure had a great time on such a beautiful lake. I have never seen such a huge shad population in my life..wish I could have hit it right when they are busting them in the jumps. My buddy who lives by Priest in Nashville came over for a couple of days and he was in awe of the lake. Thanks again for the helpful info!!!

Fishn magician