Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boone & Fort Patrick Henry

I'm thinking about fishing either of these on Monday since I have the day off. I don't freshwater fish here very much except for occasionally off a friends dock on Boone. I do however LOVE saltwater fishing (caught yellowtail in avatar this summer in San Diego!). But, sense I do not live near the coast, I want to learn more about fishing this area. I'm not asking for your secret honey holes but can you offer any suggestions for this time of year? I'll fish for anything that's biting - no preference!

Thanks in advance,
    Brittany

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Boone & Fort Patrick Henry

im not familiar with boone but i fish patrick henry a good bit. best luck i have there during the cold months is jigging a silver buddy on the bluffs. i plan on trying some popeye/minnow fishing this winter. try the bluff on the left leading to the dam. lower end is always warmer than upper end. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information! Are you talking about near the bridge?

I did go fishing. Only caught one little fish. I thought it was a little blue gill but someone else told me they had never caught those where I was fishing so who knows what it was! Better luck next time!

Britt

Post Thanks / Like

well depends which bridge you are referring to. i didn't think that you are probably bank fishing. there are a lot of trout in there so might have been one. my best largemouth came from there the 2nd week of december last year. we nite fished and i caught it SLOWLY fishing a jig. it weighed 7-7. then this past november i caught my best smallmouth from patrick henry again on a jig during a rain storm. it weighed 6-1. my plan is to get over there either tomorrow or monday to try it myself. haven't been over there since i caught that smallmouth. it can be a tough lake but also very rewarding.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what the name of the bridge is. I'll check when I drive by there after while.

Yes I'm bank fishing. No boat for me besides a yak - they can be fun to fish from! 7-7 and 6-1 eh? I better head that way right now!

Brittany

Post Thanks / Like

instead of turning into the park, continue around the curve and its the bridge you hit just down the road. a lot of yaks on the lake but dangerous considering no creeks or coves to hide in from the big boats running up and down. like i said, the lake can be very rewarding. my local club fishes it and we have a big fish of the year pot. the biggest always comes from patrick henry and is a smallmouth. dont know if you've seen this:

http://www.rense.com/general63/hoaxrev.htm

Post Thanks / Like

No, hadn't seen that!

I think I know where you are talking about. I turned in like you are going to the dam, took the first right down to some sort of station. Parked there and walked a good way to a fishing spot.

Never mind, I'll get the names of the places/roads. Probably would be much easier!

Brittany

Post Thanks / Like

which dam? boone or patrick henry? wont do me any good to have names cause i dont know any other than memorial, john b dennis, stone and ft henry.

Post Thanks / Like

Fort Patrick Henry - My first turn was off of Fort Henry Drive.

Britt

Post Thanks / Like

Figured it out! Just got back home. We are talking about the same area. My directions were coming from Kingsport and I believe that yours were coming from Colonial Hieghts.

Thanks for the help! Glad that's a good area, only 7 minutes from my house!

Brittany

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know where mine was coming from. i just know my way around but none of the places/roads. i would actually like to figure out how to get to the public ramp. i know how by water but not car. you know? anyway, the area at the dam is good up against the rip rap on your right all the way up to where they just built those apartments or whatever they are. also at bridge up near the horse stables. good luck and hope you catch a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - assumed you were from this area. I have grown up here so you'd think I would know my way around!

I actually do know where one public boat ramp is located. It is inside warriors path state park.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=tn&zipcode=

I know that is a long web address but you can get directions to the ramp from there. 490 Hemlock Rd. When inside the park, it's just past the snack shack. If you need more specific directions, I will be glad to help!

Brittany