Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: Boone & Fort Patrick Henry

no i live just past gate city in VA, orginially from alabama. i know where the ramps are inside the park, that's where i always put in. but there's a public ramp (not inside park) on backside of lake. my cousin lives in orebank but he doesn't know what road it is.

Cookeville, Tennessee, God Bless America.
    Post Thanks / Like

I may need to add "girl" to the end of my handle to get a response outa' some of you geezers on this board too ....just kidding...:D :D :D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

im by no means a geezer. just not many people on here who discuss and/or fish patrick henry. i dare say not many even know where it is. if you ask about a lake im familiar with, i'd be more than happy to help.

Post Thanks / Like

>I may need to add "girl" to the end of my handle to
    >get a response outa' some of you geezers on this board too
    >....just kidding...:D :D :D :D :D

Pretty smart aren't I?!?! J/K! I put girl on the end because well, I am one and thought you might be more patient if you knew I was a female asking questions!

As for the boatramp, someone I work with has a boat (non-fishing :o )on fort patrick. I'm sure he will know so I will ask him on Monday.

Brittany

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, first things first. Patrick Henry can be an awesome lake. A few things need to be considered before going. First, check the dam generation schedule before you go. This lake is basically a river locked by 2 dams. There is alot of generation on a daily basis. I noticed that you are bank fishing and there are still good chance of catching quality fish from the bank but, mostly you will be after trout. Stocking schedules can be checked though the TWRA's website to find out when to try. I know from talking to people who trout fish (I DO NOT), a good area to try is past the soccer fields inside the park from the bank. Or other people say the horse stables area is good as well. Im guessing you dont care what you catch??? I fish the lake alot but Im after bass only. There are 2 public access ramps on the lake located inside the park. The spot Im talking about is past the 2nd (better) ramp. Drive into the park, straight past the marina, at the stop sign, vere to the left and continue straight till you run out of road. Youll be at the better ramp. Park in the grass behind the soccer field and walk over the hill. As for bait, live minnows,corn,or worms should do the trick. My preference would be Berkley Power bait in Chartruse color used on a small trebble hook with 2 good sized split shot attached. If you had boat access, lol, i could put you on some bass for sure, but from the bank, trout will be your best option. Dont forget your fishing license w/trout stamp. There is a very good chance of meeting the game warden at the park. If you want to try for bass from the bank, anywhere in the park around the lagoons is a good place to try. Theses lagoons are loaded with brush fish attractors thanks to the inmates of the sullivan co jail...lol. When fishing for bass from the bank at Henry, spinner baits, crankbaits,topwater baits around the brush early in the morning or late evening, small plastic worms and small jigs are your top choices. This spring, the bass will be stacked up in theses lagoons trying to spawn. Good luck......maybe youll even see a blur go by and know its me going down the lake....lol

Post Thanks / Like

just curious about your picks on patrick henry. im not after exact locations but from the ramp which way do you normally go? what color (under normal circumstances) do you find work best? i fish it a good bit in a boat especially during summer at nite. seems my better luck is usually going left from the ramp to the lower end and black anything seems to be best no matter the conditions. anybody know where a good map can be found of the lake? i've ordered 2 from tva and both times i got a street map of kingsport. they swear its a contour map of the lake but i know better. thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.angling-technologies.com

I think that link will give you the map you were looking for.

Britt

Post Thanks / Like

From the ramp, if you take a right, you really have to consider it a river more than a lake. Generation schedules are of most importance if heading up towards the boone dam. Depending on time of year, traditional patterns are the norm on Henry with a few exceptions. Basically, you cant go wrong with smaller baits and light line in the lake. My number one go to bait at Henry has to be a 3/16 oz pig - jig on 8lb mono. This works equally well at night too. Ill fish a little jig at Henry from spring to fall and usually stay off of the lake in the Winter due to having other "hot spot" lakes in the area during this time of year. Small jerkbaits and crank plugs are good choices in the spring too. Spinnerbaits fished in the current during generation is another good bet. Some of the largest bass I have ever caught have come from Henry at night. Last year I had a 5 fish bag at night that weighed in the 27lb range....the next night I went again and zeroed....This lake can be hit or miss but over all a pretty good lake. Just try smaller baits and expect big results.....good luck

Post Thanks / Like

She may have turned right, ACROSS from Ft. Patrick Henry Dam, and gone down the river. I think there's a lift station, water station or something down there. Or she could have gone down Lakeside Drive to Cook's Landing. Also if she was going by water from the ramp past the marina, turned left and went under Fall Creek Bridge, past the stables, to the next cove (on right)where there is some expensive houses. Back at the very end of that cove there's a small boat ramp on the right and people bank fish there. I don't think the ramp is accessible when the water is down in the winter months. One other possibility is a ramp near the end of Hwy. 75 bridge across from Kenny's Bait Shop.

Post Thanks / Like

>She may have turned right, ACROSS from Ft. Patrick Henry Dam,
    >and gone down the river. I think there's a lift station,
    >water station or something down there.

That's where I was. I think its a water station down there.

Britt