Search Fishin.com

Cookeville, Tennessee, God Bless America.
    Post Thanks / Like

New Year's Day --- don't forget to eat them black-eye peas

it's an old southern tradition to eat some black-eye peas on New Year's Day (1 January) to bring you a "boat load" of luck in the upcoming year..... Happy New Year to all of you ..
    PS --- I ate mine for supper........should have eaten them for breakfast and maybe Center Hill would have been kinder today... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

RE: New Year's Day --- don't forget to eat them black-eye peas

Happy new year back at you Dover. Same here. I had three helping of them for supper just to make sure on the luck along with them fried taters, hog jowl, and corn bread and I wasn't fit to shoot after that. I had to fight to keep my eyes open after I hit the reclinder after that meal. Maybe it will help on the fishing, make that catching...sure can't hurt the way my luck has been the last couple times hitting the water. Later...283

Post Thanks / Like

Being a yankee I didn't know about the tradition! But man oh man stratos does that sound good especially the taters and hog and cornbread. My best friend and I went to Florence,Al a few years ago in Jan. and fished pickwick and we took my motorhome and all the food we would need for the week. At the end of the first day we had been out in the cold all day caught a few smallies and a bunch of stripers. Well we decided to go in to town and hit a restraunt instead of cooking (lazy)We found a buffet in Florence that had southern cookin,MY Gawd the best food I ever ate. Honestly we ate there ever night for a week I must of put on 10 lbs. Next year it will be Black eyed peas for me Luck or not just sounds gooooood.:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Stratosjoe; Ain't nothing at all bad about that combination to start you off on the right foot for the new year. It's better than having a lucky rabbit's foot in your pocket or a handful of lucky 4- leaf clovers and it sure is tasty to boot!! LOL. Seariously, it is a southern tradition as Dover stated for luck, one that me and the better half have praticed for about 33 years now so there might be something to it. The only thing that might come close to that combination as far as the food chain goes is a big plate full of lettuce with the hot grease and cornbread and the other goodies that goes with it. YUM YUM for sure, but that will come in the spring. My wife limits me on that spread due to being a artery stopper and jerking my blood pressure up. But they both sure are good. Can't beat southern cooking if your really hungry and need to get full, heck what am I thinking, you can't be it if your not hungry :-)
    You might say I am alittle partial LOL. Later...283