Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Berkely Vanish transitions line.

I enjoy the non-stretch quality of the flourocarbon line. But I have hated the the fact that these 60 year old eyes can't see it to detect a strike. Now they are touting this new "Transitions" line that is gold above water and clear below. Has anyone tried this and is it a good product. I use a spinning reel a lot so I need a good limp line with low memory. How is the knot strength, and abrasion resistance, any help out there?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Berkely Vanish transitions line.

I have used this line many times. I can not find it any more. I heard they were going to stop making it so I bought around 2 dozen spools of it. It is a great line, like all the big game line. It does not really disappear though, it almost turns a purplish color at the surface. I do not think it I have lsot out on any bites. I think you will like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Skee53;
    This is no lie!! twice last year, I landed 5 plus pounders using the Vanish Line, both times the bass went around boat lift and dock post. The line was really messed up about 3 feet from the hook, could not believe how good this line is. With the transition, you can see the line movement. I only use Berkely Vanish Line 12 and 14 lb test. Did not have any break offs last year. Also my fishing partner is in his 60's, he uses the Transition and has no problems seeing it.

Good luck
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it. I used it in my first tournament last year, broke off two big fish on hookset using a jig. Cost me the tournament. 12 lb. test, polamar knot, brand new line. It does have great sensitivity and you can see it well, but there is no stretch to it. If I was going to use it again I would buy 20lb. test.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using 12lb vanish exclusively for the past year. I believe its one of the best lines out there. It does have memory, but it takes about 6 months for it to get bad. Even on the reels I don't use as often. I have never broken this line off except for snags and it takes alot of pull to snap it. I do admit it is hard to see in low light conditions. For this reason, I've been experimenting with the new Cajun Red line for pitching jigs on rocky banks. Its been going fairly well. It doesn't appear the fish can see it and its very abrasion resistant. Plus its very cheap $. I only use braid on my spinning reels,so I won't be much help there.

Post Thanks / Like

That garbage cost me $500 last year in a tournament. Broke off two fish on the hookset with brand new 17lb line. They couldn't give me 100 spools of it, unless I could give it to those fishing against me.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem in a tournament FOM last year, cost me and my brother $800. I paid $14 for the spool. Had 2 good bites on a jig, set the hook and the line breaks about a foot above the jig. The bass jumps a minute later, about 3lbs. Made me sick. I was fishing a deep clear lake and I heard so much about the line I thought I would give it a try.
    Never use it again in a tournament or at all!
    Bassky