Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Motor Winterization

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-06 AT 09:44AM (EST)[/font][p]Well, due to an injury, I have been wiped out for a few weeks and still have not winterized my Yamaha 50hp yet.

I usually take it to my dealer and have it done, but that is about an 80 mile round trip.

Can a proper winterization still be done? The motor hasn't been run since about November 15th. Fuel was filled and stabilized and run through the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Motor Winterization

One thing that you did not mention. Do you store your boat where it is safe from freezing?

Assuming that you do you may want to consider the following:
    If your boat is in the water for day use only change the lower unit oil every other year.
    If it is in the water for the season I would change it annually.
    You may want to start the engine and shoot some fogging oil into the cylinders. This can be done by hooking a garden hose to the water intake.

Change the water pump impeller every 3 years.

Hope you recover from your injury soon.

Bumblebee_1

Post Thanks / Like

Stabilize the fuel and run through the motor.

Change the Lower Unit lube EVERY fall when you put it up. If it does happen to get any water in the oil it could freeze and crack your lower unit. Better safe than sorry and Lower unit lube is cheap. While your doing that, pick up replacement washer/seals for the screws that fill and drain the lower unit. They are about a $.80 apiece, again good cheap preventative maintenance.

If you have a water pressure guage disconect the hose from the back of the gauge and drain of water, this could also freeze and wreck your gauge.

Replace the fuel filter and plugs now, that way your boat is ready to go in the spring when your ready to go.

If your storing outside, place moth balls in the boat and compartments to keep rodents out. They will chew up your wires and cause all kinds of electrical headaches.

If you can't keep your batteries charged, take them out or they could freeze or at least shorten the battery life span.

Grease all fittings to get out any water that may be in the bearings and other areas, again the freezing thing.

Check all nuts, bolts and screws to make sure they are tight. Check electrical connections for corrosion.

If you store outside, make sure its covered good and tight, bow tilted up and drain plug out.

Finally fog your motor cylinders and piston. Just shoot it through the spark plug holes for each cylinder and rotate the crank shaft manually and spray cyclinders again. This is to make sure you have covered all the metal areas.

Come spring just fill up your tank, add some fuel treatment like injector cleaner or the like and your good to go.

Good luck, its really a whole lot easier and quicker than it sounds once you've done it a time or two. Its also a whole lot cheaper than having the dealer do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

I have everything to winterize the boat, bought a kit at Gander Mountain to do it, then got hit by a car. After 2 surgeries I will be out of work for 6 months, hopefully walking a little by mid-April.

My brother offered to do it for me this weekend, I was just worried about it setting for 6 weeks, but I guess I have done that in the summer before and didn't have any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish,

Thanks for the info.

I had already filled and stabilized the gas before I put the boat up. Was going to do everything else myself before the bad luck hit.

I was mainly concerned about turning the motor over and spraying the fogging oil into it.

My brother is going to give it a shot for me on Sunday, as I watch from the back seat of my Jeep.

I think all the other things can wait, just need to get the cylinders lubed up, hopefully I will be back on the water by mid-late April.

Post Thanks / Like

TW,

Really sorry about your injuries. Glad it wasn't even worse! Seeing the reference to Gander Mtn. seems even chance you are from Indy. I'm a southsider - if there is ever anything I can help with, transportation etc., let me know. I'm retired and generally up to not a whole lot of good. Best wishes.

Jon Hughey

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your offers to help. My wife is able to take off 3 weeks to help me through the worst time. I am actually starting to move around a bit without help.

I am actually from eastern Vigo County. It is very boring indeed to be laid up, but it is the heart of winter, so maybe by fishing season I will be raring to go.

Forecasts are up to 51F on Sunday, so with my brothers help we will get the motor winterized up and ready for that first trip hopefully in April.

I hope I can fish with you sometime, I have my own fishing ponds out near Center Point in Clay County. It was so generous of you to offer to help me. We can catch all the fish you want to catch, keep em' or release em', I got ponds for both.

Thanks again,
    Topwater

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Top, one more thing

IMO its best to turn the motor by hand, cranking it over can create too much friction IMO. There should be a nut on top of the flywheel that you can put a socket on and move the pistons.

I winterize alot of my buddies boats every year, I'm no expert but after 25 years of boat ownership you learn a thing or two.

Not sure how far you are from NKy, but if you get in a pinch and can't get it done, I offer my services to you, no charge (except maybe a chance to fish those strip pits of yours a time or two LOL). You and I have had our differences, maybe once or twice LOL, but I know how it is to be laid up, been there/done that and was lucky enough to have friends who came through for me.

Good luck and hope you have a quick and full recovery, spring is right around the corner and them basses won't wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your bad luck....hope you get well soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave.

Father time will do the job now.

I am getting hook set fever, just want to pick up my worm rod and swing a hook set from South Alabama into a bass's mouth. Whack! Fish On.

topwater

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Hey Top, one more thing

Thanks Fish.

I was going to crank the motor with the battery, but I will have my brother do what you said, just manual turn. I think there is a rope pull up there too that I could use to turn it, if I could find the rope.

Hey don't worry about arguements. I like everybody on this board, even if they don't agree. Its impossible everyone can agree on everything.

If people didn't argue, no one would ever take the time to think.

Have a good rest for the winter, Mr. Bass is out there, hunkered down getting stronger every day.

Good Luck, and thanks for the info, you definetely gave me some good pointers.