Search Fishin.com

Thread: Steering Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Cables

Hey.......

I'm looking for some info on steering cables, and was hoping someone from here could give me some insight......

Here goes....

I have a 17 ft Tracker TX, with 50hp on the back. The steering cables seem to have too much play in them....I can turn the wheel about 1/8th - 1/4 turn without moving the boat. This seems really dangerous....

My question......Can I tighten up the cables.....Is there an easy way to do this......

Next.....If I cannot tighten them up....Is this something I can replace myself, or should I just take it to a dealer, and pay the $300.00 bucks to get new cables, and have them install them?

Thanks,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Steering Cables

If you have a flat rack steering system ( a flat square cable rack under the helm) an it's Not a no feedback steering system it will have some play in it as you described. A round or rotary helm will have almost none. Any one with any mechanical ability can chage them , but it won't be easy. All the wiring is usually tied to the cable because it is very stiff. Most times labor should be about $100 -125 to change and cable may be from $90 up to as much as $200 per cable. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar cable problem (I think)- I also have Tracker 17 TX-- My problem is that I am not able to engage throttle to forward and reverse.-- The cable throttles seem to move when I move the throttle shift forward (to engage) as well as reverse??

the motor fires up good-- but I don't know if this is cable issue (where it's not making the motor engage--or if it is something different)

any ideas-- Hate to bring it in the shop-- $$$, or I may simply need to get off the dime and do it anyway??

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know when they need to be changed, is there any way to check with out taking it to a marine. everybody tells me it is tough to steer but my boat is always tough to steer even when it was brand new.

Basserd

Post Thanks / Like

IS there any way to make an adjustment on these cables by the motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Steering cables seem to last from on average 5-7 years. If yours are still good and say 10 years old, well then you have gotten your monies worth. As for shift and throtle cables well the control box can be the problem as well as the cables. I have seen allot of control boxes worn out and shift and throtle cables that sretch and won't work properly. The fastest way to ruin a shift cable is to try and shift it into gear without the motor running. The clutch dog (shifter) and gears in the lower unit have lugs or teeth that lock together to engage the gears and it they line up tooth on tooth and you try to force them into gear it can damage the shift cable. As for slop it the cables when giving it throlte most times the cable is moving the trigger or timer base first before the carbs start getting opened up, the timong on most motors advances first before the throtle plates start to open. Inside of a control box can be a nightmare if you don't know what your doing and it may cost more in the long run if control box or lower unit get damaged due to cables being installed or not adjusted correctly.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info--taking it in this weekend and we'll see what the damage will be. Tight lines-

MD