Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federation News

Post Thanks / Like

Federation News

Hey all;
    Go to Bassfan.com and BASS ESPN web sites. there you will find reports on the fisrt meeting held yesterday, interesting reading.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Updated!!!

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Today BASS's Don Rucks was a lot nicer, said state Federation presidents.

By all accounts, Celebration, Fla. was a much happier place today than it was yesterday for just about everybody involved in the ESPN/BASS-BASS Federation presidents meetings. The confrontational tone that was set early yesterday (Monday) and prevented anything substantive from being accomplished was replaced by a let's-start-over-again atmosphere that apparently boosted the presidents' comfort level.

That, in turn, gave them more incentive to examine with an open mind BASS's vision for the new "Federation Nation," which was laid out by BASS VP and GM Don Rucks via a Powerpoint presentation. Not all state presidents were sure they liked all (or even most) of what they saw and heard, but the more relaxed manner in which it was delivered was greatly appreciated.

"It started out much, much better, especially on the BASS side," said Washington president Gary Morris, who was outspokenly critical of the demeanor of BASS officials, particularly Rucks, on day 1. "I would say it was run in a very amiable atmosphere. There were a few times when the discussion got a little bit heated, but nothing major.

"(Rucks) came out and apologized for the way he behaved yesterday and said that he was the kind of guy who puffed out his chest and got loud and animated when he thought he was backed into a corner, and that's just his nature. Personally, I accepted it. If things would've been run with that kind of attitude yesterday, they would have gone much better."

Other presidents came away with similar impressions.

"It was conducted much more professionally, with a lot more respectful attitude from both sides," said Gary Gunter of Oklahoma. "I think people probably sat down and realized that the aggressive, abrasive tactics weren't working, and for any progress to be made, everybody would have to be willing to listen."

And this from Rhode Island's Roy Costa: "As poor as I thought (Rucks) was on day 1, I thought he was that strong (today). He completely turned around an inability to communicate, and people were at least receptive to hearing him. The day before, there was a screen up. Nothing was getting in."

The New Deal

Among the highlights of BASS's Federation plan for 2007 and beyond is the creation of the Federation Nation, in which each state Federation will send six club teams – each comprising six anglers – to one of 10 regional competitions around the country. The Top 6 teams from each regional will qualify for the BASS Federation Nation Bass Club World Championship, where members of the 1st-place team will each receive a fully-rigged Triton boat.

The current divisional tournament structure will be eliminated and replaced by a format under which each state and international Federation will send its champion directly to the BASS Federation Championship – similar to the state champions tournament The Bass Federation Inc. (TBF Inc.) had been talking about.

BASS will pay the travel expenses for each qualifier and his/her spouse. Six berths in the Bassmaster Classic will be up for grabs at that event, and all of those anglers will receive paid entry fees into the Southern or Northern tour (angler's choice).

The presidents received hard copies of the plan at about 7 p.m. EST. They'll study it extensively over the next few days.

"The Federation does not exist (anymore) as it has for the last 30 years," said Larry Lewis of Georgia, who's held his president's position for that entire period, plus one additional year. "Now we have the Federation Nation, whatever that means. This is a big scope and it covers a lot of areas, but there are going to be problems money-wise because of the way it's structured."

Is it Affordable?

One of the presidents' initial reactions to BASS's proposal had to do with costs, always a big worry for state Federations. For BASS's new club championship, for example, the entry fee for the national club competition will be $250 per angler. Multiply that by 36, and that's $9,000 before travel costs even enter the picture.

"This isn't necessarily true for Georgia, but it's going to pose economic problems for a lot of states," Lewis said. "A lot of them aren't going to have enough money for fees, uniforms, motels, transportation, food and all that. Some only have 15 clubs in the whole blooming state. They're going to have to find a way to raise that type of money."

Washington's Morris agreed. "On the surface, it looks like it might be cost-prohibitive to some of the smaller states. If a person sits down and truly looks deep into it, I don't think the economics are there to make it work because of the entry fees and travel costs."

Notable

> To read BASS's Federation Nation document, click here. BassFan will publish the details of FLW Outdoors' proposal to the Federations when they become available.

> The presidents are scheduled to meet with BASS again tomorrow morning. In the afternoon, they'll meet with representatives of TBF Inc. in regard to the proposal they received Sunday from FLW Outdoors chairman Irwin Jacobs.

> Morris and Gunter both said one of the big issues for the presidents is the reinstatement of the TBF Inc. divisional representatives who were banished from BASS in November. They said Rucks told the presidents that BASS attorneys were looking into that issue.

> No word yet on exactly when the presidents will do a head-count, or state-count, to see where each state will, or might, go: BASS or FLW. But with both proposals now on the table, look for a vote soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the TBF has voted to leave B.A.S.S. and go with FLW!!!

Interested to see what the FLW proposal is.

Post Thanks / Like

great news!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Federation News

This means we are all screwed. We cannot go through life disregarding our past history. If it werent for BASS were wouldnt be were we are today. It is just like getting devorced. You all think we can just trade in for a better deal. All the hard work we have done is gone now. It takes cooperation and a lot of hard work to make things work in todays world. BASS is triing to help and we "BTF" is just going to trade for a newer deal. This is going happen alot more know. If we "BTF" finds somehting wrong with FLW they are goin to say "O what the heck let find a better deal" Thanks for screwing a good thing up.

Basserd

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you are right on one thing....BASS got you to where you are today. They screwed up the tradition, the relationship, the trust, etc.

The new BASS doesn't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is something all of the presidents of OUR federations are voting on.. Nobody is being screwed here, but the presidents that were fired by BASS for no reason got screwed..... I heard a couple of them were life members of BASS........... If you think all of this is so wrong go talk to the president of your federation and tell him your view.....

ps, Go tell the Presidents that were "fired" that this is such a bad idea, some of them have been doing this for 30 plus years also, for the good of all fisherman...

Post Thanks / Like

If you think this is so bad you could always fish with Texax, New Mexico, Colorado or Ontario Canada. They voted to stay with BASS. You obviously have not been keeping yourself informed on the situation between ESPN/BASS and the Federation. Bass plunged the knife in once too often and they got a face full. Ray Scott started a good thing but in the latter days all he was interested in was going with the money. He had to be thrown out of the Federation Presidents Executive session. He is a turncoat and should just fade into the sunset. If you all will read the FLW and Bassfan proposals you will see that there is a world of improvement there. And you'll be able to fish the big tournaments out of the boat of your choosing. You will not be limited to a Triton. Anyway, lets look to a bright future......

Don

Post Thanks / Like

After sending some time reading the proposals. I am not sure that the Federation leaders made the best call, Time will tell.
    Just my view.
    Bkehl

Post Thanks / Like

Don;
    Thats way to much travel for me, Don't get me wrong, I am not a big fan of BASS/ESPN, they are in this for the money just as FLW. If it was not for the money, FLW would not put out any type of offer. FLW has offer up a lot of incentives, The Federations stand to get a lot of funding if we use FLW sponsored Cedit Cards. Discounts on FLW and TBF clothing, and others discounts on line stores.
    The one thing that I did not see was the Liability and A/D 24 - 7 insurance that was offered by BASS/ESPN. Will this mean that my club needs to purchase this Insurance? Just another cost to the small clubs, shoots take $5.00 saving out the window.
    Again this is just my view, I'm not trying to debate this. I have printed the proposals and have been conparing the 2.

I do agree with you on the way that BASS/ESPN have acted during this mess. I too would have walked out of the meeting.
    Have a great day, hope to meet you on the water some day and share great fishing stories
    Bkehl

Post Thanks / Like

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY

Why does everything have to be about Money. I fish alot of tournement. I have never fished a tournement for the money. I fish it for fun. Putting yourself against 50 to 60 other guys shows you how good you are of how well you can figure out the conditions and fish. If you happen to win money its great but competive bass fishing is not bout money, its about compitition. When get down to being about money we have lost out on the meaning of what this great sport used to be. These people are after bigger pay out. I dont have a lot of money but i have a good time fishing.

Basserd

P.S. Im sorry to upset some of you this is just my opinion right or wrong. I dont mean to add logs to an already out of control fire

Post Thanks / Like

For any of you that are interested I did some research on liability insurance for a small club like the one I'm in. (approx 30 members). We can get $1,000,000 in liability insurance for $342. per year. Didn't check on the AD/D. but as I recall it is not expensive.

I think it was time for a change, we made it. We should now wait and see how it shakes out.

One thing that does erk me though is the Indiana Federation web site. If you have checked the In web site you will find that the last post concerning this whole mess was back in Dec. The timely information came from Bassfan, Tennessee web site, and the Ky website who by the way did an excellent job of keeping its members informed. If I had my druthers our club would become a part of the Ky Fed. The Indiana web site us just above worthless..... Sorry, but this has really stuck in my craw.....

Don