Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Lake /Smallmouth

Looking for some general information concerning when the smallmouth can generally be found near the bank on Kentucky Lake.

Would like to target them using spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits.

I am thinking mid-April to the second week of May? or do they spawn earlier?

Looking to spend a week down on Kentucky Lake, hoping to catch some good weather.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Kentucky Lake /Smallmouth

By late April or early May most of the smallies will have spawned, however, the LBL side on main Kentucky Lake is the best smallie waters....good luck

Buck

Post Thanks / Like

From mid march-the first of April the jerkbait bite on KY Lake is awesome. Sometimes earlier. Mostly on the LBL side of Ky Lake. Smith, Duncan, Sugar and Rhodes are all good places to start. South of the 68 bridge is all good. Pea gravel banks are keys. By May the topwater bite can be on. Dave Stewart is the guy to e-mail on the Ky board.

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly suggest that you hire Dave Stewart on one of the first few days of your trip. A trip with Dave will key you in on exactly what you need to be doing to catch 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-06 AT 11:02PM (EST)[/font][p]Thanks for the response. Just what is the LBL side? Is that left bank lower lake or Lake Barkely?

If I do contact a guide it would be Dave, I have been at his website before and was impressed with it. Currently I don't know what days I would be able to go, so I can't lock in a guide yet. Medical problems with the left leg still might be a concern.

I will take you guys advice and give him a call.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey topwater, I'm going down on the first of april so i might be able to help you a little. I bought a hotspots map the last time I went and that helped a lot. We stayed at a place near Jonathon Creek and caught fish there the whole time. The maps are pretty inexpensive and give you a pretty good idea of what kind of cover and structure that is around.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-06 AT 09:49AM (EST)[/font][p]Thanks a lot. Let me know the pattern you find. I plan on just throwing my spinnerbaits until my arm falls off. If that does not work, I will try cranks.

I did buy the Hotspot map last year, I just never made it down there. It gives you a good idea where to start, but you never know if the lake has changed a little since they printed those up.

I can't wait to get out and go fishing. I just got a package of crankbaits in the mail yesterday that I bought and they are all looking great. I want to get them on the pole and go.

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/c/colemanr...efending-2.mpg

thanks
    topwater

Post Thanks / Like

Cool video - where did you find that?

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-06 AT 10:39AM (EST)[/font][p]I was researching crankbait technique video on the Internet and found it. I have found some good ones, I will link you a few more. I just recently upgraded to high speed internet, my old dial up was unacceptable for video research. I am on long term medical leave right now, I got hours upon hours of time to sit here and look stuff up. I need my own radio talk show for fishing. 8 hours just talking spinnerbaits, I could do it.

New technology is amazing, I now have my cable tv, phone, high speed internet all for one low price and unlimited long distance calling. I loved firing Verizon and MSN on the same day, they had been screwing me for years.

Anyway here is a crankbait how to, its for beginners but a nice video none the less...

http://www.onthez.com/animation/espn.wmv

Post Thanks / Like

LBL refers to the Land Between the Lakes. On Ky Lake it will be the east side of the lake where the creeks are that were mentioned in another post. Those are good starting points.

If you cant hire Dave at least read his report right before you go. He will report on LM and SM and that will eliminate alot of water for you.

Buck

Post Thanks / Like

Rootjob
    What do you know...you are alive! Shoulduv known where to find you. Can't count on a phone call, but, a fishin board...makes sense to me I guess. Root...could you help me on where/how to catch some Crappie at KY/Bark???...thanks for the call...cbelly

Post Thanks / Like

Cbelly, leave it to a Purdue fan to surface talking smack in light of the Hoosiers road loss last night. Just kidding....glad to see YOU are alive. Those 2 hour work days must have you worn out....Let me know if you want to hook up for the shows this weekend.