Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Bill 1349

Post Thanks / Like

House Bill 1349

Hi all

Check out H.B. 1349 at www.in.gov/legislative, Click on Bills and Resolution and then Complete Information for all Bills.

Scroll down to H.B. 1349

This Bill refers to the Fenced Hunting, attached to this Bill the last line, allows Honorable Discharged Vets a Lifetime Hurting, Fishing and Trapping License free of charge. This Bill passed the House and has been sent to the Senate

Check it out and tell me if I am reading this correctly. If so this is great, for all you vets, Thank You. Because of you I am able to enjoy this Board along with all of the other pleasures in life. It is about time something is done for our Vets.

Bill Kehl

Post Thanks / Like

RE: House Bill 1349

If that is true, that is great news for our vets.

I disagree with fenced hunting though. I don't consider that hunting. That is fenced killing.

It is done in Texas using old zoo and circus animals as the game. Some rich guy buys his tag then walks up and plugs a lion just laying there looking at him.

Maybe we can get our vets the benefits they deserve without tacking it onto something unsportsmanlike?

Post Thanks / Like

Topwater, I also agree, This is a topic on the Kentucky Board, under the subject Jimmy Houston, A fair amount of discussion about it. I am not a hunter, but I did follow this story, But I do support hunting for the food.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    I'm sure this will draw fire...but here it goes. I do not agree that veterans should recieve a free life time license. Veterans already recieve certain free benefits of the IDNR. Now before eveyone chimes in and calls me unpatriotic please let me explain. The concept of Indiana citizens paying for licenses is to help fund the outdoor lifestyles that all of us enjoy. I as a citizen of Indiana pay all the fees that are required of me to enjoy my outdoor hobbies. But now you are taking a group of people, also Indiana citizens, and saying you are exempt from paying your fees that everyone else pays My arguement is whatbout other specialized groups? What about the elderly, blind,deaf mentally challenged? There are allowances for these people as well there should be. But they don't get a free ride. My grandfather served in the Korean War and was wounded. He is an avid sportsman. I asked him about this bill for his opinion. He told me that he had fought for the ideals of his nation at that time and he didn't want a free handout from anyone. Especially Mitch Daniels! I'm sorry but my grandfather is not a big Mitch Daniels fan. I ask you this what if my grandfather hadn't served his country and was just an old man who liked to hunt and fish? Is he any less deserving?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it is a just perk for the services rendered. In the military, with an all volunteer force, it in many cases is a life threatening job.

I really don't have a soft spot for the state getting any more money out of anyone, so I am all for it.

It will cost me $80 this year just to re-register my bass boat, and $35 for the trailer. That is more than I paid to re-plate my Jeep this year. My car and Jeep combined were only $150, so why is my boat and trailer $115?

I think I had my boat out on Indiana public water 3 times last year. Then you pay a ramp fee, and if the ramp is in a park, you pay a user fee. A $5 fee to drive through the park on the way to the ramp.

I know what people say, if you don't want to pay, don't go. That is why I went 3 times in Indiana.

Most states that I do fish in, I don't pay a ramp fee at all.

I am not a cheap skate, but when you add up all the fees, insurance, gas money. It is very expensive to do anything now.

Post Thanks / Like

I am an honorably discharged vet and do not want this. The money from our hunting licenses goes back into the DNR to help fund many things including non hunting items. THIS IS JUST A WAY TO GET A HORRIBLE BILL PASSED. FENCED KILLING IS WRONG, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING. THIS IS A LOWLIFE POLITICAL SCHEME. AND NO I AM NOT PETA. I AM A 65 YEAR OLD HUNTER AND FISHERMAN WHO HAS DONE BOTH FOR MANY YEARS. HUNT FAIR CHASE OR STAY HOME.

Post Thanks / Like

There appear to be no other specialty interest groups, however, the bill specifically addresses veterans, not specialty interest groups. The bill suggests that all veterans, be they elderly, blind, deaf, mentally challenged, all veterans would be extended this priviledge. It is a fairly modest show of gratitude for a group that gave selflessly when their country needed them. Their special interest was our freedom, and even though a guy (even a guy who fought in one of the most thankless wars in history) might say modestly that he doesn't want a handout, gratitude is always appreciated. And, according to what I read of the bill, the veteran will still have to apply for the lifetime free license. If a veteran feels that this just is not the right thing, he or she need not apply.

I served in the Army from 1967-1971, and with the exception of the GI Bill and a small square I get to check on job applications that declares I am a veteran I am not aware of any veterans' benefits I have received since that time--until now. I don't think I owe a debt of thanks to anyone who lived a long time or became disabled or was born that way, but I know I owe a huge debt of gratitude to every American soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Fencing in animals so that some rich dude can pay to hunt them is wrong. That is about as appealing to me as going to the slaughter house and watching then shoot the cows in the head before they slaughter them for food. Heck that is more appealing that fenced in hunting.

Real men stalk wild game and enjoy the challenge.

Post Thanks / Like

This Bill is out of the House and in Senate Committee and had it's 1st reading yesterday it's assigned to Senate Rules and Legislative.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-06 AT 10:21PM (EST)[/font][p]All you true sportsmen need to contact your State Senators now and let them know your feelings on this. I just do not think it gets any sleazier than to try and get a piece of trash passed on the backs of veterans. This should show you the kind of people who would really benefit from this bill.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-06 AT 10:39PM (EST)[/font][p]I really don't have a problem by thanking all our vets for what they gave and was willing to give. Anyone coming home from combat will never be the same again. They try to get through everyday and live with what they had to do and what they have seen. The lost of friends and to another extent what thier family had to go through. No matter what war (Or even if they didnt serve in a combat area why were there for thier country)
    we ALL owe everyone of them much more for what we have!
    I sure hope that the lack of funds from these great gifts to them don't come out of the DNR's funds. The DNR funds are pretty thin as it is. All the vets should be allowed to fish and hunt anywere in this country they want at no fee, they have already paid !! Being a vet they didn't take off to Canada or hide when thier country called for them eighter by signing up or have to have drafted them to serve this country. I remember seeing on TV when our people came back from Veitnam and got spit on. Make me sick and mad as he((. If you want to spit on someone or bad mouth someone go to the person who sent them away from thier family and loves ones, not the brave people who served!! Give them the right to enjoy our great sports, they have earned it many times over. God Bless all our vets at any age and Thank You!
    Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

I just contacted my legislator. I also e-mailed Rep. John Ulner, the author of the bill and let him know how disgusted I am that such a bill could even be introduced with "fenced-in" hunting included. To find your legislator, go to http://www.in.gov/apps/sos/legislator/search/ and send them an e-mail. You can also e-mail your senators and let them know how you feel. Senator Lugar's is senator_lugar@lugar.senate.gov and I imagine Bayh's is the same format but his link doesn't work (imagine that).