Search Fishin.com

Thread: black lights

Post Thanks / Like

black lights

any body know where a guy could buy black lights for night fishing, i'm looking for something bigger then the 18"s, every where i looked thats all they carry, any help will be appriciated

Post Thanks / Like

RE: black lights

I dont think I have ever seen those black lights bigger than 18". You can find those at Dicks or any of the major tackle stores around Indy. You might be able to find bigger ones at the Indy Boat show next weekend adn the following week. I dont know where you are located but it might be worth checking there.

Post Thanks / Like

GE for one makes black lights as large as 48" but they are in standard fluorescent fixtures with a 6 ft. 120v plug. If you can figure how to adapt that to 12v maybe . . ? Otherwise I've found nothing longer than 18". Years ago I used to have two lights on my little 2 man hard vinyl boat. I put them side by side sometimes.

Tracker Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask why you want a longer light? Is the light you have not bright enough. I have tried the ones Dicks and the old Galyans carry and they are not even close to the quality of a Stan Sloan (Bass Pro) they are pricey but worth the money in the long run. The sloans put out much brighter light than the others I have tried.

Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Stan Sloan 18" light is plenty to night fish. I have one and mount it in the middle of my 18' boat and it serves both the front and back fisherman well. I even turn down the white light for it is way too bright at full strength. Had it 3 years and had no problems.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

I havent seen anything bigger than 18" myself, the 18" draws in enough bugs for me so if you go any bigger youll be a huge bug magnet for sure. Stan Sloan lights are very nice and durable.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: black lights=bug magnet

i bought black lights from the autoparts store for about 20 bucks each and mounted them on a 1x4. as long as its totally faced away from you the swarm tends to stay on the side with the light. it lights up the line to about 15' out and its only about 18". wonder if there's a way to use them to keep the bugs away from the boat especially when you're underway.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a thing in one of those Air Mall magazine on a plane. A bigger one that plug-in suppose to keep your average backyard free of bug and a battery operates one can keep your deck bug free. It generates bug repelling sound waves unheard by human and animals. I was really tempting to buy but was skeptical if it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing I was skeptical because I just Googled that stuff and all the scientific studies said that stuff doens't work at all and is a total scam.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to www.jaboatworx.com they have a nice light that they will put a black light in.They'll also be at the boat show and you can see one there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think I read the same thing about those things. They sure sounded good though. Just have to fall back on the old standbys: smoking black stogies, and rippin off a few big ones. Neither one goes over well with the relatives. But sometimes a man just has to defend what's his from the little flyin monsters.LOL

Tracker Jon

Post Thanks / Like

i bought one of those ultrasonic pest repellers years ago for about 20bucks i think. you can build one for a few bucks at radio shack. i put it next to our window and the flies didn't mind. then i put it next to a mousetrap one night and caught 7 mices in about an hour. at least it looked cool and i got a power supply to use on something else.