Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod Arsenal Opinions

As I continue to gain fishing, specifically tournament fishing, experience, I am realzing more and more the importance of matching rods with the type of fishing you are doing. I'd appreciate suggestions from everyone explaining the types of rods they use for different types of fishing...(i.e. Pitching Docks - 7 ft. Heavy, Jerk Bait 6'6" Med Heavy Fast tip, etc...)

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Rod Arsenal Opinions

Well, at the expense of being ripped apart by the professional anglers on this board, I will give you my rod set ups.

First I have six baitcasters, and five of them are Pflueger Trion model with 6.3 ratio. I use them for crankbait and spinnerbait lures and range from 10lb test to 17lb test. All of them have a Quantum 6'6" medium action with a fast tip.

I like a flexible tip on all crankbait and spinner bait rods to let the fish take the lure, it helps me set the hook.

I only have one rod set up for flippin', and I use a cheap Garcia Ambassador flippin'/casting reel that I bought a long time ago, the model is scratched off. I use 20lb test on it with abrasive resistant Berkely line. The rod is a 7'6" Flippin' rod with heavy action and a stiff tip.

Now my spinning gear is a rag tag group, I have them all set up to use various size lines and almost exclusively for plastics or small crank baits. I use a lot of Rapala stick baits that are too light for my baitcasters, and I love to use down sized jigs from 1/32oz to 1/4oz size and the spinning reels do well with the lighter lines.

All my spinning rods are set up various sizes of Shakespeare UglyStik models, from light action to medium/heavy. Almost all texas rigging I use on these spinning rods also. UglyStik's are cheap, but good enough for me.

I can't pay the money for those Loomis and Kistler rods, I get by with what I have just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

As you can see from Topwaters post you don't need to spend big dollars on good equipment. The fish really don't care how much you paid for your equipment. Most of those who use the $300 rods only purchase them for status symbols, you don't and won't notice that much of a difference over a $40 rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie and Topwater,

For what my humble opinion is worth I agree wholeheartedly. I don't fault anyone who has the funds to buy top line, dedicated sticks for every type of presentation, as long as they aren't being driven my the marketers to feel that they have to have them. No doubt part of that pressure comes from pros who represent rod makers who want you to buy more sticks from them. Lots of us don't have that kind of money. I have a couple of Shimano rods ($70) each that do a good job of covering smaller cranks, and drop shotting as well. I have a good Daiwa med/heavy/fast that can handle bigger cranks, TR, CR, and lots of other plastic lures. Flipping? I use my 7' catfish, baitfishing casting rod with an Ambassadeur reel with flipping bar. The tip is not quite as sensitive as I would like I guess, but guess what. Right now that rod, and all my others, are probably better right now than I am. Anything more would be wasted on me and likely most anglers. It's the going that counts, that and working on getting better yourself.

Tracker Jon

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to tell you to rush out and buy a rod that costs 300 tomorrow. I agree with what Topwater said to an extent. I will give you my history and let you decide what you will.
    I started out with a couple bait casters. One for cranking and one for jigs. The jig pole was a 40 or 50 dollar Shimano which I spooled with spider wire. After using it for almost a year I set the hook on a stump with my drag too tight and broke a couple guides. I then upgraded to an 80 All-Star rod. At the time I didn't think there was a better rod made. I felt things that I never had felt before and set the hook too often when nothing was there. From there I found a guy needing some money so I bought a Loomis from him that should have cost in the 300 neighborhood for 100. It has all went down hill from there. The 80 dollar All-star sits in the garage 99% of the time. There is a huge difference between a 40-50 dollar rod and one that costs 100-200. Learn to fish with what you have and grow as you get to be a better angler. Oh and by the way, I still use the same crankbait pole that cost 40 when I started.
    Eric H.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-06 AT 08:54AM (EST)[/font][p]I fish with a couple of guys who use a Loomis. They swear they catch more fish because of it, but they don't catch more than me.

They also think when their crankbait hits a tree that it is a strike and set the hook, and then I have to back the boat up and try to save the lure, LOL.

I keep hinting that I want a Loomis for a gift, but my wife doesn't have a clue. If I bought one myself, another month watching tv in the garage.

She never will get over the $9500 I spent on a new bass boat, and guys on this board will say that boat is a piece of crap.

Post Thanks / Like

TW I agree with you on some of your veiws.It does'nt take $300 rods and $200 reels to catch fish.The one place I will disagree is on the feel of a good rod.I started about the same way as everyone else with less expensive equipment but was still having a ball and catching fish.You could right about more expensive being a status symbol. I used to think there was no difference between a 100 dollar rod and 300,but you're wrong there.The difference is like nite and day no matter if Loomis or Kistler or ???,also the weight makes a world of difference after a 12 hr. day of fishing.Most of the Loomis' I own came from winnings off of a few freinds and wintertime card games.My wife does'nt care either,she makes really good money...of course we've been divorced 17 yrs. Just keep on kickin ##### w/your less expensive equipment and tell your buddies maybe they should have invested in some fishin lessons (maybe you can make 'em a good deal...$300???).If status is why they bought them thier missing the whole point.

Post Thanks / Like

To kind of get back to what Bemuum was asking, I would like to offer a couple of suggestions. One is to add a pistol grip rod 5'6" in length to your arsenal, matched with a baitcaster with decent magnetic braking. I use this set up for throwing spinnerbaits and topwater baits way back under those low hanging tree limbs.
    My other suggestion is to buy sensitive rods for throwing plastics. Hard bait sensitivity is not nearly as important as feeling your soft baits, im my humble opinion.

Guys, take note - not one single brand name mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my take on rod selection. You can go about it 2 ways, some anglers like to use the same type, size, and action of rod for every bait so they get a consistent feeling all the time. I've know a bunch of people that use this and are really good fisherman. As for me i'm still experimenting myself. I'll switch rods all the time untill i find one that i really like. The ones i like the most are:

6-6 med action rod with a 4:4-1 gear ratio for crankbaiting
    6-6 med-lt action with a 6:1-1 ratio for Topwater need alot give in this rod, seem to lose less fish with this, also a great rod for shallow cranks, and Rattle-traps
    6-0 med to med-lt with a 5:1-1 for spinnerbaits, found a shorter rod and shorter handle increase accuracy
    7-0 med to med-hvy with a 5:1-1 for just about any bottom bait.

Everything else im still using the general 6-6 rod with a 5:1-1 ratio, seems to work good with just about everything.

As far as rod and reel makers go, my only advice is to buy the best you can afford. there is a very big difference in a $40 and $200 rod. But if you have to go cheap i agree with everyone else, go cheap on your moving baits (cranks,spinnerbaits,and topwater) and spend the extra money of good rods for Jigs and Worms the extra sensitivity and less weight really pay for themselves in the long one. But just remember we all used to catch fish with a snoopy-rod at somepoint.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few baitcasters with a pistol grip Ugly Stik. My wrist started to get like a carpel tunnel problem when throwing spinnerbaits.

I have them in my rod box, and still use them occassionally.

Speaking of carpel tunnel, I have developed soreness in both arms actually from fishing. I definetely have seen a great improvement since I have not fished since mid-November.

43 years old and breakin' down real fast.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-06 AT 08:37AM (EST)[/font][p]I don't think that anyone said that they are a better fisherman that you because they have a Loomis. I think the point is that they are better than there were before they had a Loomis.
    And your point about setting the hook into a tree, equipment doesn't make up for stupid. That is all about skill level, experience, and knowledge, not equipment. I can go and drop 100 grand on a new boat, new truck, all new tackle and that doesn't mean that I'm fishing the pro tour tomorrow, nobody said that.
    All I'm saying is try one for a few days and see if you like it before you disagree with people spending their money on them. And don't buy a cheap GL2 or GL3, if your going to do it, buy a good one. Personally, I would save up my money, and go spend around 200 and get a Kistler. Best purchase I have ever made.
    My .02
    Eric H.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-06 AT 08:42AM (EST)[/font][p]To answer the original question:
    7' MH fast tip for tubes and worms
    7' H for light jigs
    7'6" H for big jigs
    7' M to ML (depends on manufacturer) for spinner baits and top waters. Maybe 6'6" for pop-r's or twitch baits.
    7' Cranking rod for crank baits. BPS makes some decent cranking rods for the money.
    I like the longer rods because of the extra casting distance and the fact that you move more line on the hook sets.
    As far as reels go, I use all 6.3:1 reels except for cranking.
    Eric H.