Search Fishin.com

Thread: Quality Gear

Post Thanks / Like

Quality Gear

Well since I been holed up all winter, I jumped at the chance to go visit a hand made crankbait and sunglasses operation near Brazil, Indiana.

I had an upclose view of why the top line tackle is so expensive.

The Solor Bat line is the name of the sunglasses made at the shop, they are an official sponsor of the FLW and sponsor individual anglers such as Davy Hite.

Each pair of glasses is made by the same technician. The high performance optics were developed by optometrist Dr. Gary Nesty who is also the owner of the business. They even make prescription sunglasses for people like myself.

Dr. Nesty also manufactures custom hand made balsa wood crankbaits. The name of them are Wally "G" baits. I picked up a brochure to pick out the designs I want to order. Again each one was made by hand, by one technician.

It was very interesting to see how a balsa crankbait is made, sanded, painted, then finished and tuned.

I am glad to know that I can buy something not mass produced, and it was very interesting to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quality Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Topwater2004 View Post
    Well since I been holed up all winter, I jumped at the chance to go visit a hand made crankbait and sunglasses operation near Brazil, Indiana.

I had an upclose view of why the top line tackle is so expensive.

The Solor Bat line is the name of the sunglasses made at the shop, they are an official sponsor of the FLW and sponsor individual anglers such as Davy Hite.

Each pair of glasses is made by the same technician. The high performance optics were developed by optometrist Dr. Gary Nesty who is also the owner of the business. They even make prescription sunglasses for people like myself.

Dr. Nesty also manufactures custom hand made balsa wood crankbaits. The name of them are Wally "G" baits. I picked up a brochure to pick out the designs I want to order. Again each one was made by hand, by one technician.

It was very interesting to see how a balsa crankbait is made, sanded, painted, then finished and tuned.

I am glad to know that I can buy something not mass produced, and it was very interesting to see.
    those are not hand made they use a machine

Post Thanks / Like

Top, if you want true hand turned, swing into our show. We will have two of them there. It is a much different experience than those "TURNED" on a machine! I know John Mills probably does some of the best crank painting I have ever seen. He is also one of them who turns their own out of balsa.

Ray Rigby

Post Thanks / Like

I posted that way back in 2006.

And I say they are hand made. I saw the guy "Making them by hand."

Anyway Ray, I will drive down to your show. Its only 12 mile or so from where I was going, I googled it yesterday. It is within my mileage budget, since gas is so dirt cheap I just keep drivin around all day so I can stop an get another tank full.

Will a ticket stubb from your show get me into Dancers in Plainfield for free? Can you work out that deal for me?

topwater

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Dancers!! If this is the case i'll buy several tickets. I live down town indy, so i cound't past up this post......