Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Annual resident park entrance pass

Wasn't the annual pass for last year cost $24? This year it's $36, what's up with that?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Annual resident park entrance pass

Ask our man (( Mitch ))

Post Thanks / Like

Like virtually everything except car prices, they went up to keep pace with gas, natural gas, electricity, etc. The gate fee is now $5 for each entry, so as long as you plan going more than 7 times, it's still a good buy.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the increase really smells. Politicians preach family values on the campaign trail and then jack the prices up for the things that families should be doing together. A couple years ago there was a dramatic increase on camp ground fees and I stopped visiting state ran or DNR ran properties. I fish and camp exclusively in KY now where it is affordable. Just my two cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea and why charge more for out of state, hell here in ohio its free to get in our parks like hueston woods etc. I hate indiana, too bad brookville and the river are all there is to fish where we live "THE ARMPIT OF AMERICA"

Post Thanks / Like

You are right. The fees currently being imposed by Indiana on its citizens is getting ridiculous.

Sales tax is up to 6%, boat registration $85, trailer plates $35. Fishing license increased, park entrance fees increased, property tax increased, it goes on and on.

I live in the county with the highest level of poverty in the state, Vigo County. Last year the county introduced a 1.25% income tax on residents. I wouldn't give a **** if at a county commissioners meeting, someone went in there with an assault rifle and blew them all away.

I shouldn't say that, but really I wouldn't care a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello guys and gals. As I am going to have to deal with some of these issues over the next few months, I’d honestly like to have some input from you about this user fee thing. Please note that I am not the one to set fees at our facility at West Boggs; but I do have an opportunity to make recommendations and offer advice to the Board that does. What I’d appreciate from you all is some answers to questions that always seem to get lost in the tall grass on these discussions.

For example, if the new state annual pass fee is too high, what is the right rate? Whatever you think that rate should be, why do you think it is the right rate? In the discussion about the $24 fee as compared to the new $36 fee, it is obvious that most people buying that pass would prefer the lower rate; but how do you know $24 is not also too much? If you support the idea of raising the fee to $36, how do you know that is enough?

If all of a sudden it were your responsibility to make these decisions, what do you think is the best way to set recreation user fees?

A: Set the fee low to allow maximum use, and make up for operation, maintenance, replacement and development costs with tax dollars,

B: Set the fee as high as the market will bear, and make up and operational, maintenance, replacement and development costs with tax dollars,

C: Set the fee at the level necessary to cover only the cost of operations, and cover costs for maintenance, replacement and development with tax dollars,

D: Set the fee at the level necessary to cover the costs of operations, maintenance and replacement and minimize the use of tax dollars,

E: Set the fee at a level suggested by a few people who show up at a meeting to voice their opinion and not worry about all the business details.

Obviously there is a lot of room for opinion in this discussion, and I’d like to hear them all, as long as they’re sincere.

Post Thanks / Like

How about using neighboring states as a model and charge a small fee or nothing for residents to use our state parks. They obviously are operated primarily on tax dollars and revenue generated from lodges, boat ramps, gift shops,etc. Indiana has literally priced its self out of the market for residents that border these states. The majority of border residents that own RV's and/or boats now go to KY or OH for their recreation and I think that is a shame.It is not just the increase in gate fees but a wholesale increase for all services accross the board over the last couple years that have me steamed.It is actually cheaper to take your family to a pro baseball game in Cincinnati and stay the weekend than it is to pull a camper and boat into a state park for a weekend. I am just thankful I live next to a forward thinking state where I can take my family and enjoy their state parks for a reasonable fee. I will get off the soap box now. Sorry about the rant.

Post Thanks / Like

No need to applogise to me. I don't work for the state. But I am curious about some of your points. Where does the data come from about the majority of border residents going to KY or OH for their recreation? If that point is substantiated and verifiable, it would have a large implication for Indiana. Do you know of a study which shows that result?

On your other point, I assume you would not have a problem with Indiana finding a way to implement a new tax of some sort to replace the user fees for parks. Should that be an income based tax, an excise tax, a sales tax or what?

When people travel to a park in say OH, and take the RV to camp, do you know if they normally stop near home to fill up with gas, buy groceries, bait, supplies, etc., or wait until they get to their destination to doo all that? This is one of the often cited issues in favor of low fees; as it is perceived that the added traffic is a boon to local business and workers, who in turn are pating the taxes to create the attraction that causes the increase in traffic. Is that trade off sustainable?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I am so tired of the fee hikes, I am not going to use Indiana public waters this year. I have made my decision.

I will launch my boat on my property, and continue to go to other states to fish on my vacations. Kentucky Lake is first up in April, then to North Carolina, then Alabama.

Wisconsin in May, and again in July.

I am not even going to buy an Indiana fishing license this year. Don't need it. The major lakes are controlled by USACE for flood control anyway, we don't get a good spawn by doing that.

I am taking the advice of several previous postings. If you don't like it, don't go. And I am not.

topwater

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-06 AT 09:46AM (EST)[/font][p]Your schedule sounds like fun. I wish I had the time and money to do that myself. I have fished in a few of those states and it is always fun to be on "new" water. As for you taking the approach that if you don't like any particular offereing you just won't go there, I think that's a good idea and should save both you and the people who have to deal with disgruntled visitors both a great deal of heartburn.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-06 AT 10:56AM (EST)[/font][p]The gate pass price is not a bad price, even at $36 if you use it much. The camping fees in state parks are admittedly high and I camp quite a bit, but I always go the the federal campgrounds and never to the state.
    Realistically, Indiana has always exercised a country club mentality. Money talks. Look at the duck hunting on Geist. No more duck hunting because the sound of shotguns wakes up people whose large and expensive houses line the lake. Last fall they drained Lake Monroe to "make necessary repairs to a culvert." In the process they dropped in a new ramp at Fairfax and they managed to sneak in a significant increase in the number of pleasure boat slips at the marina. How long do you think it will be until that lake is pleasure boats only and the private playground for the country club types?

As for the guy who hates Indiana; we obviously have enough problems dealing with our own crap without yours. If you are not from Indiana, you do not pay taxes here, and since you do not mind taking part in Indiana's outdoor culture, good or bad, you should not mind pitching in a little.