Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling Motor Batteries

I would like to know what the longest lasting, strongest trolling motor batteries available are. (In everyone's opinion). I would like to buy some that I won't have to worry about for a couple years. I usually get about 3 years use out of the everstart trolling motor batteries. Just wondering if there was anything out there better. Thanks in advance!!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Trolling Motor Batteries

there is nothing better than Optima Blue Top - Model D34M. Take care of them and you will get 4 + years...

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the best place to buy these?

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-06 AT 12:31PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-06 AT 12:24*PM (EST)[/font]

I got my optimas at AutoZone. PepBoys and Sears also carry them.

Check out the www.optimabatteries.com web site and look for dealers near you.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Advanced Auto Parts - they do not stock them but you can get overnight delivery. cost is $148 / battery. If you run two trolling batteries you should look into Optima Troll Furry kit. Basically a housing for the two batteres... chceck out of the website... http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com

nothing better on the market... believe me, i've researched.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Classic:
    I have had my Optimas for three years now. I am hoping that they will last for 6 years. Optima says they should last 2X as long as a regular battery. I am going to find out and hope that it's true.

I do know that they charge up really fast and that they hold a charge all winter long. That part is absolutely true.

One thing that I do with my batteries is to recharge them as soon as I get back home from fishing. I'll put my minkota auto charger on the trolling motor battery and charge it up overnight. But I found that it' will recharge in about 4 hours so if I need to go fishing again it will be ready faster than other type of batteries.

I think that the spiral cell design in the key to why these batteries are better than the old style hanging lead plates. Optima's have better lead in them too so they offer less resistance to being charged. That is why they don't discharge very much and also it's why they recharge faster.

They are 15 times more vibration resistant that the old style batteries. That's true simply because the design is superior.

They are not suppose to leak and you can turn them upside down and mount them without any leakage.

I would rather pay a bit more and get something that's better and lasts 2X as long. Don't have to fuss with them for a long time and that is a good thing IMHO.

I have been going though a lot of deep cycle batteries in the last 26 years that I have owned my bass boat. I sure hope these Optima's last me for 6 years.

Oh and they also have greater output in the first few seconds of usage and they also have a good output curve. ie they don't drop voltage for a long time and give good power thoughout the charge of the battery,

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Everything you say is true from what I know. One of the reasons they are so good on vibrations is the fact they are filled with gel and not water which is also why they are sealed shut because you never have to worry about adding water to them.

We should be getting paid for the free promoting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing. LOL

I did my research for a while before I bit the bullet and bought mine. I had to get two batteries and both were optimas.

I talked to a good freind that runs a trucking company out West. He said he only uses the Optima for all his big trucks. He runs a mining company and goes though a lot of batteries. So I trusted what he told me. Optima has been out for over 10 years now and I have seen some copies of their design at Sams Wholesale house. Well they were sprial in design at Sams. BTW Sams is owned by Wal-mart.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose,

As for the copies at Sam's, you say they are the same spiral design. Any scuttlebutt about their performance compared to the original? Regards!

Tracker Jon