Search Fishin.com

Thread: greene-sullivan

Post Thanks / Like

greene-sullivan

Anyone have info on the strip pits?Thinking about going this weekend and was wanting to know how the bite is and water conditions.Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: greene-sullivan

I have been fishing strip pits this week, and the action has picked up to a maximum level right now.

Water clarity is about 2-3 feet. Weed growth is active, and entire grass beds and weed lines are established.

Bass are hitting on stick minnow baits. I like suspending stick baits, ones that when they hit the water will not go back to the surface. Getting a lot of strikes that way, casting then letting the bait sit before reeling.

Senkos are working really well also, I prefer the big 5" original Yamamoto in green pumpkin color.

If the wind is blowing, spinnerbaits are working well also.

Bluegills and redear both are biting very aggressively, you should catch as many as you want. I just been playing with them using a 1/16oz black jig with a black and green curle tail grub. Catch one on almost every cast.

Redear are deeper than bluegills, you might have to use live bait in some of the deeper pits to get them.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info.Be going with a little confidence now.The last few times down there I havent had much luck.Maybe this time we can get on them.Mainly be fishing for crappie and bluegill.I will be throwing for bass also.Any word on the crappies?

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie should be shallow at this time. They are shallow at Patoka Lake last weekend. You are not that farther north than Jasper, IN. So you guys can't be much more than a week or possible two behind us in the warming up of the water.

Are your pits all very deep or do you have some areas of shallower water? Check the drops if you have shallow water feeding shelves as the crappie will hang out on the drops waiting for the right time to move horizontally to spawn. They may move back out over deep water and suspend at around 10ft or they may hug the bottom. In the summer time when the thermoclines setup they will hover over the top of the thermoclines in deeper water but still close to the shallower waters areas. They may cruise along the drop off about 100ft out away from the drop and over the deeper water. They call that confined open water in the crappie wisdom book by In-Fisherman.

Regards,

Moose1am