Search Fishin.com

Thread: baits

Post Thanks / Like

baits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-06 AT 08:26PM (EST)[/font][p]what is your go to bait?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: baits

rattletraps,and spinnerbaits

davedrab Guest

1.texas rig purple worm
    2.black/silver suspending minnowbait (rapala or rogue) jerk it!
    3.zara spook

hard to pick just one, depends on situation

Post Thanks / Like

Doughballs and chicken livers

Post Thanks / Like

Carolina Rigged Lizard or baby brush hound. I catch more with those baits than anything else in my boxes.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Spinner, weedless jitterbug and top water frog

Post Thanks / Like

Storm Chug Bug, 3/8 oz black blue jig, texas rigged mag 11 zoom worm.

(alot too depends if I am fishing for largemouth/smallies or if I'm down south fishing for spots.)

Post Thanks / Like

CR paid off great on KY Lake Wed.

A buddy and I fished KY Lake, put in down by the 68/80 bridge at Fenton, and fished south about 2 or 3 miles maybe.

We could not find any fish at all up shallow... back of bays in spawning areas. We caught a bunch of fish... well over 25, for the day, but we only had 4 keepers. My best, and our best, was 6-6.5 lbs. My scale quit working, but it was bigger than a 5.4 I had earlier this year. She, I guess she was a she, was not full of eggs at all, and was clearly starting to feed up after the spawning process. The four keepers we had would have been over 14 lbs.

the big fish is a great fish story that is true though. I set the hook on her, using a Carolina Rigged baby brush hound, and I hollered to my buddy that I could not even turn her. Finally she gave into the pressure and began to come up and jump. I instinctively put the rod tip into the water, probably have of the rod was in the water, trying to keep her water bound and not in the air. Every time she changed directions, I would change directions trying to keep positive pressure on her with the rod. Finally got her to the boat, and of course she dove under the boat. I free spooled the reel, and used my thumb to apply the drag pressure. I finally got her back up and my buddy got her in the net. When I went to lip her, I noticed something I had to show my buddy. The hook was just sitting on the bend of the hook on the side of her mouth. The hook point was not through the skin anywhere. I don't know if it had come out, or if it never even went in. But, it appeared that it had not ever got through the skin, and I was just lucky enough to get her in with the constant positive pressure.

Anyway, we did catch fish on other baits too, spinnerbaits... white, and crankbaits. But the best ones came on the CR.

Danny