Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fuel Gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Gauge

I filled my Ranger R82 up a couples weeks ago and now my gauge always reads full when the power is on. Before it worked fine. Any ideas as to the problem and the fix?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Fuel Gauge

If you filled it too full you float that controls your guage may be stuck up on the top. You can fix this by filling it all the way up and putting in some good injector cleaner that will eat the lacqured fuel off the slide.

Or the other way to fix it is go to monroe this saturday and run flat out down by fairfax at about 3:00 in the afternoon. That beating will probably dislodge it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Fuel Gauge

I'll fill it up and try the injector cleaner and see what happens......thanks for the advice.

I've ran full out on Geist on a Saturday afternoon recently....not quite Monroe, but not far from it.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: got another problem to solive with some help

My new Ranger boat has a 200 H.P.Yamaha (I love it) But the speedodometer quit working last week. I've looked for weed blockage, (couldn't find any weeds or grass blocking) cleaned out the side ports just to make sure something wasn't deep & out of sight, BUT I still can't get the thing to work. Anyone out there got a idea, so I don't have to pack it back to the dealer?

Thanks for any help you can give

Post Thanks / Like

locate the hole for the water intake for the speedometer should be dead center located on the lower unit front of motor get a small drill bit just big enough to fit in the hole now rub it back and forth between your fingers DO NOT USE A DRILL you should start to see wood appear out of the hole probably jammed a peice of wood up in the hole i used to get this problem all the time on the river TIP if you are fishing with alot of drift or in the river where you could get it plugged again or afraid to get it plugged just put a small peice of duct tape over the hole no speedometer but you wont have to do this again hope this helps jeff

Post Thanks / Like

junior,

the advice given is exactly right. However, if you are running in debris, like we get on the lakes in the spring, you will permenately clog that water intake. My 2002 TR21 clogged up right away. I cleaned it out, it clogged again. Then when I went through a bunch of small wood debris, it clogged for good. I tried the drill bit, and it would not get it all out.

One other thing, the water pressure speedometers are not very accurate. I ended up just leaving mine clogged and using my GPS speed display. Not sure about all GPS units, but on mine you can set the display up to show many things, I keep the time and the speed on it all the time. you can, with mine, choose MPH or Knots.

One of the things you will notice right away if both are working is that you are not going nearly as fast as the water pressure meter says. Mine read near 85 while the GPS was showing 77.

That's more than fast enough for me, and has never been that fast again...LOL... guess I am just becoming an old man. Now I am wishing I had a Ranger, heavier and won't go nearly as fast as the Triton.

However...... in the middle of summer, middle of the day, high temps and humidity, and no wind... usually no bites... so it is nice to fire up the motor and run 4 miles to get the the point right across the bay. LOL

Good luck,

Danny

PS, oh by the way, if you don't have any debris in the motor, check and make sure you don't have some other intake. My first bassboat had a plastic water pick up on it. Also might want to make sure your water line is not clogged, or that it is attached even. Mine did blow off once.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with the speedometer on my '97 Nitro. Turns out that the tubing that runs from the lower unit up to the speedometer got pinched in the transom hinge. It looks like someone tried to repair it before and didn't route it properly. Then again...if the had to repair it to begin with, it probably did it before.

If Monroe doesn't fix that stuck fuel guage...go try Brookville on any summer weekend with a North/South wind....