Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Full Moon

Now that the full moon is over, what suggestions do you guys have for fishing with a full moon at night.
    I have always heard how good this may be but have always struggled when others have had good nights?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Fishing Full Moon

I use a black power worm, try both weighted and non weighted texas rigs.

If that don't work, save ammo, hunker down and wait for dawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime your fishing at night only two colors make any difference, black and white. If one doesn't work try the other and fish the outside weedlines.
    I did see a report on another site that said the fishing at Driftwood SFA has turned on for the night bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy named Charlie Simon that fished at night in the Warrick County area. He fished strip pits at night. He has more than a few big bass mounted on his walls in the basement. He drew his own contour maps and showed several of them to me. He used crank baits and short 5ft long rods to fish for bass.

I drive by his house every week on my way into town but have not talked to him in years.

I'll be that he has a lot of knowledge about night fishing for bass. I'll stop by his house someday and talk to him and ask him about his night fishing adventures and try to report back someday.

The sun and moon light does effect the fish as it provide them light to see by. A full moon's light is not much but it does help cast some light on the water's surface. I suspect that it does help the fish see a little better. I read that bluegills spawn in the shallows this time of year and during a full moon.
    Maybe the extra moon light helps them find each other at night.

The gravitational pull of the moon as it swings closer to the earth does increase noticeably. It causes the oceans to move and it may also help trigger earth quakes. Yes the moon's pull on the earth can move the earth's crustal plates some have theorized. It does not take much pull to cause an already under pressure fault to slip and release some energy. According to a program on NOVA a guy predicted the San Francisco Earth Quake by noticing that the moon was closer to the earth at that time. He also predicted several other major earth quakes that occurred by using the moon's path around the earth as a guide.

I have read in fishing magazines that some of the record fish catches have taken place on good solunar table days. Not just one or two records were broken on a predicted excellent fishing solunar table time.

I personally go fishing when I can. I don't wait for a good time according to the solunar tables. But I have also noticed that during times of good fishing the solunar tables on my Garmin eTrex Vista GPS accessory fishing charts showed that that period of time was predicted to be a good time to fish. The Vista GPS has the solunar tables built into it's memory and I can look at the best and good predicted good fishing times while out on the water. It's funny that they do seem to match up most of the time. Once I caught 40 crappie in a two hour time period and the solar tables showed that to be a good time to fish. Fish do seem to bite better at times in the same spot. If you fish for crappie in the same spot you will soon realize that the fish will often turn off or turn on. Now whether its because the leave the area or return to the area I an not sure. They may just get full and stop eating for a few hours. They may just move a few hundred feet out over deep water and suspend 12ft below the surface and rest. Fish have been said to have negative and positive and neutral moods. I know that after a big meal I want to go sit down and watch TV for a few hours or go to sleep. I am not ready to eat again until I have thoroughly digested my big meal. I bet that fish are the same.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished Driftwood off and on for a few years at night. This year the fishing seems a little tougher but the size is a little better. When we were hitting it once a week we could count on 20-30 fish a night and out of that one or two might have kept. It is a fun way to spend the evening.
    Eric H.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you run into any toothy critters down there at Driftwood? It has been many years since I have been there.

Post Thanks / Like

Another factor to remember when considering the full/new moon is that many crustaceans and aquatic insects hatch during these moon phases. This triggers a feeding frency with gamefish

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to bet, I would say that if I fish down there quite a bit (more than 10 times this year) I will hook into one or two. I have never gotten one to the boat but they are fun for that split second. I usually don't throw anything but soft plastics so I don't run into many.
    Eric H.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could find out more information online about the life cycles of freshwater insects and crusteans. I too believe that knowing their life cycles and their habits helps to know where the fish are.

If you want to locate some wolves find the buffalo! You want to find some strippers then find the schools of shad that they feed on.

Want to find some smallmouth bass then look for areas where there are lots of crayfish molting. I found that there are a lot of different species of crayfish. Each may live in a different type environment in a lake. I know that is a small 3 acres lake in Southern IN the crayfish can be found out in the middle of the lake scurrying around the lake bottom in July. I have seen them myself while scuba diving in a lake like this. They leave trails of smoke like muddy water as they scurry away. Visibilty was poor so I could only see about 2ft from my face mask. So it's a little spooky to be swimming along with your face only 2 ft away from the bottom and to see something scoot away leaving a cloud of muddy water behind. They are so fast that it's hard to see them. But the clue that they were there is unmistakable.

Regards,

Moose1am