Search Fishin.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: Indiana tournament fees

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-06 AT 11:41AM (EST)[/font][p]Mike-

You make the most sense of anyone on this board. I used to fish a ton of tournaments and quite frankly, there is an element of the tournament fishing community that gives tounament fishing in general a black eye. Unfortunately, this element seems to be the most vocal. I fish many, many days a year and I spend a great deal of money doing so. The money I have to 'pay' to fish in the form of taxes, gate fees, etc. is inferior to the total dollars I spend in general. Bottom line, my desire to fish is greater than the cost required to do it. If I ever get to the point where I have to bash everyone that has their hand out, I'll just quit fishing and pick up another hobby.

Some tournament fishing anglers think the sun rises and sets on their rear end and that they are the only ones that foot the bill or 'get it'. It is hard for me to imagine how half of these folks can even fish while looking through their eyebrows when they are on the water. Sounds like an enjoyable time , huh?

The question that has to be answered is, 'What is it worth to you to be able to fish or tournament fish'. If the dollar figure, stress of it all, is less than what it actually costs....then quit it. Otherwise, enjoy yourself and do your talking in the voting booth....or with your state representative.

I am sure this will draw some dandy responses, but hey, I was doing this thing when most wannabes today were popping zits and chasing skinny teenage girls....so let er rip.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks. Glad to know someone else sees the obvois about a guy with a $50k boat griping about a $4 gate fee. You're probably right that you'll get hammered on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on ALL your comments, including those about Mike :)

As you said, been there, done that. Everyone needs to determine their own point at which this fishing stuff (tourneys or otherwise) isn't worth it to them. When that point is exceeded, step away.

And if people would devote half as much energy to contacting and working with the proper authorities, groups or personnel that are involved with all these discussed "problems" as they do with website bi#$%ing, they might actually get something accomplished.

-T9

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-06 AT 11:58AM (EST)[/font][p]Yes, a $50K boat with another $5 - 6K in rods, reels, and tackle !! Not to mention the $40K truck dragging it all down the road....what understanding wives we all have.

As for those who would trash me on this board Mike, it is nothing that I have not heard over, and over, and over again before daylight at a tournament somewhere. This too shall pass...

BTW - Great job at Boggs. Try as we may, we can't kill it :) It is an amazing little lake

Post Thanks / Like

Rangerpro,great post!!You're absolutely right about the difference in how tourney angler's are treated here versus how they're treated in other area's of the country.Many other states compete to get the larger tourney's scheduled on their waters.They build weigh in sites,have restrooms with running water {not outhouses},provide tournament support and their local chambers of commerce actually PAY money to have certain circuits come to their town for the positive economic impact.Lots of good posts on here and many that aren't so good either.Anyone that truly believes a large tourney doesn't generate much needed income for a small town is sadly mistaken,especially in the cool weather months when the fair weather crowd is still layin in the house.

Been lots of talk lately too about all the pleasure boats that do not have the motorized boat permit,its easy for many of us to see who gets targeted for not having that on their boat and who doesn't and yes,complaints have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you've misunderstood what a lot of folks are saying. Paying the money isn't a problem. What is the money used for? Show me improvements that are being made in Indiana fisheries with all of our money.

I have no problems paying the money thats why I'll spend $100 plus in gas alone to go to KY or ILL to do the majority of my fishing.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Once again the MOUTH from up north strikes again. I hate to bicker on here but for crying out loud Crappie.....go somewhere else. Before I wasn't sure if you genuine dick or just someone who enjoys adding fuel to the fire.......evidently you are both.
    Go away!

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-06 AT 02:37PM (EST)[/font][p]I can't say what any particular fee is earmarked for, if it is earmarked for anything. In my agency we tend not to earmark funds. But it is not always realistic to expect to get more every time you have to pay more. That is true here and I have to assume it is true at Monroe and Patoka and Kentucky too. We have to pay for increased labor costs, higher utility rates, staggering equipment costs, and raising fuel costs just like you do at home. It just costs more to do the same thing. Sometimes it gets to the point that it costs more to do less. If you can figure out a way to change that, run for governor and I'll vote for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Bull,

Thats a joke right? about the Sparta Racetrack and KY Derby competeing against IMS?

I think the statement that was made was about tourism, not recreational tourism. Tax dollars are tax dollars in my opinion.

8.9 Billion dollars are spent on tourism in Indiana
    8.7 Billion dollars are spent on tourism in Kentucky

So I will admit the spread is not as large as I thought, but it is still over 200 million dollars, I would love to have that drop in the bucket in my pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Man....you have a SHORT memory.

* It was NOT Mitch Daniels that shutdown the ramps and state parks.
    * It was NOT Mitch Daniels that turned a 2 billion surplus in to a 700 million deficit.
    * It was NOT Mitch Daniels that diverted money from the Fish and Wildlife to other projects.
    * It was NOT Mitch Daniels that caused us to FAIL Fed Highway Standards, costing 250 million in highway money.

Look to the A$$ in office BEFORE Mitch started cleaning up his mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Not the current governor........

Show me an EXAMPLE of the current administration doing this.

I know of Many in the previous administration, but I don't believe Mitch's watch has squandered, or used money collected by the DNR for other purposes.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I could care less about IMS, Kentucky Derby or other events. I'm concerned with outdoor activities such as Fishing and Hunting. I've lived in both states and still hunt and fish in both, more so in KY because I think they have better programs and better opportunities for the money.

Indiana may promote tourism but they do not promote Fish and Wildlife. I don't know if there is a way to find out or not but I'm sure KY and ILL has much more revenue generated off of hunting and fishing than IN. Go talk to the guys at the Patoka office in Oakland City. They'll show you how many properties that they have people ready to sell to them to add to the Patoka WMA but they state will not help them get the money for the land. In fact some of our state politicians don't feel its a good investment or its not the states job to buy land to provide opportunities for outdoor recreation.

Charlie