Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mill Creek Lake, Illinois

Guys,

Since there is no Illinois board, anyone ever fish this lake near Marshall in the summer?

I am helping out a work buddy by fishing a Friday night tournament with him this week, and have never seen the lake before.

Its a 7pm to 10pm tourney, so I expect trying topwater lures late, but don't know depths or contour of the lake.

thanks,
    Robert Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Mill Creek Lake, Illinois

Was there probably a month ago.....not too much help though, spent the weekend crappie fishing. Place looked INCREDIBLE for bass. Stained water...quite a few finger coves. All sorts of brush and lots of standing timber. Looked just awesome. Talked to a few with nice bags. Stories of 8 pound bass. Noticed everybody was beating the banks....gets about 25 feet deep on the main lake. That's really it.....sorry not too much help but you'll be excited when you see it.

Post Thanks / Like

You have a PM

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't fished the lake in about 10 years, but it was great last time I was there. I lived in Terre Haute and spent 3-5 days / evenings on it every week for close to 2 years.

My best month for big bass was June 1996.....
    7lb 14 oz - caught during a 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm Wednesday night tournament on a black and blue Rattleback jig with a blue pork trailer.

6 lb 2 oz 4 - days later during a Big Bucks tournament around 7:30 am on a fluke.

Best team tournament was a win in April.......
    24 lb 14 oz - 5 fish
    black and blue Rattleback jig with a blue pork trailer
    Left out of the ramp and under the bridge. East side of the lake on a spawning flat near the main creek channel.

It's a pretty "typical" lake for what that's worth. Flukes and spinnerbaits in the morning. Carolina rig when the sun gets up. I have never been a good with a crankbait, but there are some humps in the mainlake that are great for the carolin rig, so I would imagine a crankbait would work. Lot's of good arms and places to pitch if you like that.

Best advice (if it's still open) is to hit Sam's Steak house by the lake for dinner.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

partial to carolina rig way out off points on dam end if boat traffic will allow. above post still good by todays standard...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,

thanks to all you guys for your info. I know its tough on a lake that gets hammered like I heard this one does.

I have 5 baitcaisters and 3 spinning rods rigged up every which way but loose.

Its a 7pm - 10pm open so if you guys want some of my money, its yours for the taking.

thanks so much,
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Well, we didn't do to well in the tournament.

I caught 5 bass, all on a deep diving crankbait. Fishing in 30ft of water, bass were suspended about 15ft.

Biggest bass only measured 14.5 inches and the lake has a 15 inch limit. The other 4 were between 10 and 12 inches.

Since we didn't have a fish to weigh, we just ramped out and headed home (10pm Indiana time).

Thanks for all the info, I was happy I got bites.

Robert Montgomery