Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3 pt....

I could not fish the Lynnville tourney anyway. Already fishing a club tourney this Saturday. Sorry. Love to fish and don't know hardly a sole. May call you to fish sometime if you want.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Lynnville Lake Questions

We had 14 boats at our tournament and raised some money for the Tecumseh Band Boosters. There were 2 keepers weighed in out of the 14 boats. 1st place and Big Bass was a 4.4 lb and 2nd was a 1.67 lb bass.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Hoosier and Moose

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-05 AT 10:46AM (EST)[/font][p]Last year I saw a lot of guys slipping and falling on the concrete ramp at Blue Grass Pit. Loon Pit and Otter Pit's concrete ramps were just as slick. There is a lot of algae that grows on these concrete ramps all summer long and they are very dangerous. I got my truck's back tires stuck on the ramp as they could not get a grip on the concrete surface due to the algae. I had to be pulled out. I drive a long bed Nissan pickup truck that is one of those little ones. I don't have a lot of weight on the back tires.

I saw a guy slip on the concrete last year and tear his hand up when he tried to grab the boat trailer and hit a bolt or something. I had to get my first aid kit out and give him some antibiotic ointment and a bandage. I use to drive over to the ramp and just see how many people were fishing. So I saw a lot of guys trying to lauch and recover boats.

Last time I was there a group of people in Kayaks came to the ramp. They were drunk and they tried to recover the kayaks and kept falling down on the concrete in the shallow water. They eventually ended up going for a 1/2 hr swim around the boat ramp.

I sure wish that the DRN would clean the algae off the ramps once or twice a year to make it less dangerous. They should have put deep grooves in the concrete when they made the ramps at the Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife area.

I have not been to Lynville this year. I guess they should clean that ramp also.

There really is not excuse to have a ramp that is slippery and dangerous to the public.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Lynnville Ramp

I have been to Lynnville several times in the last few weeks, and lucky that I have a setup that doesn't require me to get my feet wet unloading or loading even by myself. I did see several people that had been 4 wheeling covered in mud running down the ramp to "wash" off and several of them fell on the ramp. The ramp is ok where the grooves are cut, but the part that has no grooves it must be like ice. No first hand falling knowledge but it must be slick.

On a sidenote: I did catch 3 keepers Sunday morning slow rolling a spinnerbait over the top and edge of a pretty big hump. Had 12 feet of water on both sides, long and narrow hump, with 5 feet on top. Pretty distinct drop on both sides. 14 1/2", 15 and 16. Caught 20 or so in all. Had to get some confidence after getting SKUNKED at the river Saturday in my first trip to the river, first club tournament and first tournament of all and I bring in the livewell full of SKUNK. The river is a whole different beast to fish than the lakes I am used to.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Guys I love to fish Lynnville and I have skied the ramp also. Can you tell me where that other pit is located you mentioned. I live in Georgetown so it's a good drive for me to get to Lynville but I love the solitude there.

Post Thanks / Like

Skee, the other pit you refer to I'm sure is the Blue Grass FWA. I believe that Georgetown is right on I-64. Come west on I-64 to the I-164 exit and go South toward Evansville. You'll come to the Boonville/New Harmony Rd. exit. Exit there and at the top of the ramp turn East (left). You'll go between the two big pits in about 1/2 mile. There is a hunter check in station in the parking lot of the North lake and there should be maps of the FWA. There are about seven or so pits with ramps. Some of the ramps are shallow, especially the gravel ramps so you may get your feet wet if you are unloading and loading a boat by yourself. If your going to make that long a drive to fish this area I would recommend that you fish the large South pit. The bass population in that pit seems to be a little larger that some of the others. Be advised that the legal size limit in the North and South pits are 18" and all the pits are trolling motor only. No gas motors except in case of emergency. And the pits are closed to fishing during waterfowl season. I believe it starts Nov. 15. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help......

Don

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Lynnville Lake Questions

Wish I had read this forum prior to fishing at Lynville this last weekend. Wound up in the water on the ramp with claw-like gashes on my right arm from scraping across my winch trying to break my fall. The ramp is extremely dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

DANGEROUS RAMP AT LYNNVILLE

Watch out for the ramp at Lynnville as many have said here. Went late yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. Caught several fish including 4 keepers, biggest 2 1/2 pounds. All caught in the back end of creeks or cuts on spinnerbait or shad imitating DT4 crankbait. Took out a little past dark. Guy that took out behind me slipped on the ramp and cut his arm on his trailer. Cut a pretty deep gash about 4 inches long on his arm. Certainly needed some needle work to close up this gash. I helped them get the boat on the trailer and off to the Hospital they went. Very dangerous ramp. Talked to the lady that runs the place and she said several complaints have been filed but nothing has been done about it by fish and wildlife. Asked why she does nothing about it since we pay a "fee" to fish. She says it is an access fee to the park not a launch fee. Whatever...........

Watch out for this ramp for it is very dangerous.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

RE: DANGEROUS RAMP AT LYNNVILLE

All it would take is a $20 purchase of a can of CopperSulfate and a few cups of that stuff spread on the ramp ever month.

Who actually owns or controls the park? The DNR does not own the park do they?

This could easily be prevented. Why must someone have to get hurt before something is done to prevent future accidents like the one described above?

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

According to information on the internet, Lynnville Park is run by the Lynnville Park Board. E-mail listed was park@lynnvillein.org. Notice on their posted minutes from September Town Board meeting that Lynnville Park Board president resigned.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this email address. I don't fish Lynville Lake much anymore. I hate to hear that someone lost their job these days. I do hope that in the future the park board hires someone that will keep the ramp safe for those that use that lake.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to make this post to clarify something. I went up to Lynnville this past Sunday and talked with the lady at the entrance to the park. I discussed the slippery boat ramp problem with her and offered to help. She was very happy to talk with me about this problem. I was going to spead some coppersulfate on the ramp at this time but I didn't have any with me. She wrote down the name of the chemical and thanked me for the advice.

So it sounds like she was willing to try this out. I do hope that next spring they purchase a small container of coppersulfate from the Rural King Store in Evansville, IN or somewhere else and spread about 2 cups of these crystals on the concrete ramp next spring. This should help kill the algae that grows on the concrete and keep it from becoming so slipper. Used in minimum amounts in just the area of the boat ramp should not cause any significate degredation to the lakes water quality and should enhance the safty of the boaters launching and recovering their boats in this area.

Regards,

Moose1am