Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: Hoosier and Moose

There is a campground (privately owned by Tom Newmaster) right down the road from the two main pits. Blue Grass (north pit) and Loon (South pit). Loon is a wildlife refuge and it's off limits during all the hunting season so that the ducks and geeze have some solitude also. Hunting can occur on the other pits in this area. There are only three big pits that have concrete launch ramps. BG, Loon and Otter Pit. Otter Pit is south of Loon Pit and it's only 90 acres in size. All three of these pits are connected Hydrologically vias coverts (pipes) that rund under Boonville New Harmony road and under Kansas Road. Blue Grass Pit is about 190 acres and has lots of bays and has good crappie populations. The crappie in general are running small ( slow growth rate) due to overcrowding. Bass are trying to rebound and will reboud if all the fishermen respect the 18" size limit on Blue Grass and Loon Pits. Otter's size limit is 14" or 15". All these pits are typical of strip mined lands. High conductivity and lots of iron in the water. The pH is around 8.5 or so. There are many other walk in pits in this area. Wildlife abounds in this environment. It's full of hawks, owls, coyottes, beavers, muskrates, deer, fox, and rabbits as well as waterfowl in the wintertime.

The campground phone number is (812) 925-7575.

The pits are full of Eurasion Millfoil submergent vegetation. The deeper parts of the pits can run 50 to 60ft. Loon pit has a lot of shallow areas as well. Loon pit is about 200 acres in size and has more submerged brush than the other pits.

You can usually hook into a short bass where the water runs under Boonville Newharmony road from Blue Grass Pit into Loon Pit. There is a small ditch there that channels the water flow into the very NE part of Loon Pit. The bass will hang in that area waiting for food to be washed into the pit by heavy rains.

Lynnville is more secluded that Blue Grass in that it's an older pit and has more full grown trees even if they are mostly pine trees.

I know what you mean about Lynnville. It's reminds me a lot of the canadian lakes I fished when I was in HS years ago. There is nothing like boating 20 miles up or down a small river at night only to come to a lake that is hardly ever fished by anyone. I did that once with some friends and we had a blast. Got to the camp site around midnight and setup the tents and it rained all night long. I ended up loosing one of my contact lenses in the pine needles that next morning and had to wear my glasses for the rest of that week. :(

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

RE:**** Moose

**** Moose, let the old threads die a slow death. Quit bringing stuff months old back to the top. You have had 3 months to answer them, yet you wait till November..............

Ray Rigby

Post Thanks / Like

RE:**** Moose

Sorry Man.

Just was bored today and was reading old posts. Didn't mean to rock anyone's boat.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Don!

You should have sued Warrick County for that little accident. It's PREVENTABLE and the people that run Lynville know about the ramp's algae problem. I have told them about it personally.

There is no F excuse for the ramp to be that slippery. It's a known hazard that should be fixed or the ramp shut down. It's that **** dangerous. I have seen other's do the same thing you did and get injured. When people are launching their boat and trying to untie the boat from the boat trailer they often will catch part of the boat trailer as they area falling on the slick ramp. I saw a guy do that at the launch ramp at Bluegrass Pit and he cut himself pretty good. He was an older gentleman and should not have had to suffer injuries as he did.

Lynville is the worst ramp I've ever launched from.

All they have to do is spread some copper sulfate on that ramp once or twice a month to kill the alage and then brush the ramp with a push broom to clean the ramp. Someone should invent a big brush roller with steel bristles to use to clean these concrete launch ramps of the algae. Again this should never have happened to you.

I refuse to go to Lynville anymore as it's just too dangerous on that ramp.

Lynville Lake is run by the Warrick County Parks dept I think!

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDon View Post
    By the way: DO NOT, DO NOT get in the water on the Lynnville ramp. It is the slickest ramp I have ever seen. I stepped into the water on that ramp a couple of years ago to get my boat loaded and could not stand up. My feet went out from under me and I kicked the winch bracket on the trailer and it took 21 stitches to close up the gash. So my advice is to stay out of the water on that ramp........