Search Fishin.com

Thread: I cut my finger

Post Thanks / Like

I cut my finger

This is not your typical post but it has to do with fishing so I thought I'd pass it along.

I cut my finger on my line last weekend fishing....the inside of my left index finger. It has happened A LOT to me and to some other guys I fish with and it hurts like hell. Most of you probably know what I'm talking about.

Well, I didn't take care of it and I have a pretty significant infection. I'm not one to go to the doctor for most things but this one lead me there. It got to the point last night that I couldn't even bend my finger and the infection was moving across my finger and down my finger.

The doctor says it is good I came in because finger injuries, though you wouldn't think, can turn ugly in a hurry. I'm on anti-biotics and am to go back immediately if it doesn't get any better.

In addition to anti-biotics he has told me to soak it in Dreft, a powdered baby laundry detergent, 6-8 times a day.

You don't want to go through with this so take care of your cuts.

Thanks,
    W. Amos

Post Thanks / Like

RE: I cut my finger

yep ive done it,get hung up on something grab the line with your hands,cuts sharp and deep sometimes.hurts like a big paper cut.learned if i cant pull it out ill cut it,five bucks dont seem worth it once you get cut.hope you get back to normal soon.john

Post Thanks / Like

with all the nasty bacteria out there a guy should keep some peroxide and band aids on hand in his boat and super glue for deeper cuts
    hope the finger heals up ok

Post Thanks / Like

Super Glue?? you'll have to enlighten me on that one.

You must have fished in some really dirty water VMAMOS! I cut myself a bunch of time tying line too. I found that if you keep the line out of the creases that the digits of your finger make, you're less likely to get cut when pulling on the line.

Barry Guest

Super glue, I went to the doctor about two years ago. Because I had a 'boo-boo' they used a 'sterile' super glue to hold the sizeable chunk of flesh that was just barely hanging on instead of stitches. Since then I have used regular super glue and it works fine. I'm not a doctor so I don't know the risk of using 'non-sterile' super glue but it works for me...

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a bottle of "glue" from the drug store that is for deep cuts. I'm guessing it is probably a safer bet than super glue.

I was fishing Boggs and I don't think it was the water that got to me. I think it was the four days without a shower and the camping I was doing.

The finger is healing nicely. I have lost the entire top layer of skin around the infection but it is being replaced with nice, pink, new skin.