Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardy Lake info

Post Thanks / Like

Hardy Lake info

Looking for any info on Hardy lake for bass fishing. I've never been there. We have a little club tournament there this weekend. Any info would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Hardy Lake info

are ther weeds, rocks, wood, anything?

JBehr Guest

I have not fished Hardy in a couple of years, but maybe this will help. There are plenty of grass beds in the shallow water on the main lake. There is a large lily-pad field on the main lake just up from the main ramp. Frogs and weedless spoons have worked here, as well as plastics and buzzbaits. There is timber everywhere. The entire upper end is one big maze of timber and is an idle zone, for very good reason. To the left side of the dam are three or four arms, a couple filled with timber. There should be a few buoys marking a shallow hump before you get to these arms. Depending on water level, it will eat your lower unit so beware. The hump and the arms are good topwater spots early, or on cloudy days.

I like to throw topwaters early and then I normally switch to soft plastics later in the day. One technique that I don't often use, but will usually produce is yo-yoing a spinnerbait in deep water (over 10'). I will let it sink to the bottom, jerk it up sharply, and let sink on a tight line. You have to experiment to see how fast to move, how deep to fall, etc. Once you find the right combo, it will usually produce better fish.

Good luck.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Joe. I at least have an Idea of the lake now and a clue of somewhere to start. I'll be leaving for Hardy in a few minutes. Prefish today and the tournament is Sat& Sun. There are only six of us.
    Thanks again for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

i fish hardy very often. i only live about 2 miles away. if you know where cedar cove is i would try there first. caught a lot of bass using jigs. full of wood so be careful. the lake is a little low know and the stumps very hard to see. in the mornings you can usually see bass busting minnows on the main lake. keep a look out for this also. hardy is very weedy but fishing around the banks usually produce however the bass are mostly on the small side. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

mperry,are they still schooling up near the grass beds by the beach,caught quite a few there last month on topwater.

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned form Hardy. Was pretty hard to catch a keeper. only 2 out of 14 today from 6:30 till 1:00. Had one out of about the same boated yesterday. The others in the tournament was about the same. Two guys blanked. Seven in the little tournament total. We liked the lake. I was a little surprised that I couldn't get them to hit top water. Probably the cold front I guess. It looked like you should be able to tear them up on a popr or buzz bait. Most of the fish were caught on sinkos and flukes. One of our guys caught a 9lb. striper or wiper? on a rtrap. Only took a little over 5 lbs. to win.
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I only got the first post before I left, but I appreciate the replys.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just out there on 10-8-05 and did not see them schooling up but I usually see them in the morning and I did not get out there early enough. With the cold front coming through did not even get a bite but mostly fished for crappie. Maybe when the weather gets a little more stable most of the fish should turn on.
    MPERRY

Post Thanks / Like

We did catch a few schooling in one of the big cove back in the Idle zone area. They would turn on and off. It was fun for a while. cought one keeper out of several throwing at the schooling bass busting shad.

JBehr Guest

I had heard rumors that wipers had been stocked around 2000, but nobody could confirm. Glad to hear that there was at least one! They are a blast to catch and good to eat! What more could you want! 9# is a heckuva nice fish. Bet he/she was ready to collect that winners check when the fish hit!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he also had fun bringing it to the scales saying "he had a bass that looked to be over 8lb". He wasn't lying, sort of, he didn't reveal it's true identity until the last minute. We had fun pumping up a few of the guys before it's unvailing.
    He said it did give him quite a battle.

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a member of the dnr and stripers and wipers were stocked there around 2000. i have caught a couple of the stripers. not very big but fight hard. this lake needed something else. now if they can just do something with the weeds