Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BASS TIMES article on bass or tourney survival

There is a very good article in the october issue of bass times,its on page 40 and was written by chris horton who is the BASS Associate director of Conservation.The article is about tournament mortality and how it can affect the survival of tourney's now and in the future.Many different groups are wanting to stop tourney's altogether and are using the delayed/tourney mortality issue as a way of getting them stopped.Its nice to read an article in defense of tourney fishermen and showing ways that we can go on offense by taking care of what we catch.

Everyone on this site that weighed in on the west boggs summer tourney issue should really take the time to read this article.A lot of people on here were citing delayed mortality as a reason for no summer tourney's and one guy even stated that BASS had released studies saying that delayed mortality rates were anywhere between 10 and 20%.Apparently chris had never read those studies himself since he states at the end of paragraph 3,"does tournament mortality have any impact on bass populations?Based on the evidence thus far,probably not."

This is a great article on a very touchy subject,both sides seem to have "research" to support their point of view.I hope chris doesn't lose his job for stating his views on this subject since he doesn't agree with a lot of the experts out there.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: BASS TIMES article on bass or tourney survival

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-05 AT 05:23PM (EST)[/font][p]
    Please read the following. You can find the entire document at the address below. I hope this will increase your knowledge on the subject.

I know B.A.S.S. had a good article, but you must remember that this organization is a special interest group with a focus on tournament related issues. They are bias with the slant being toward bass tournaments.

I would encourage you to read some studies performed by qualified fisheries biologist.

http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q...-US&FORM=CVRE4

Summer tournament mortality has been cited as a significant cause of largemouth bass mortality in several studies (Plumb et al. 1988; Taylor 1990; Schramm et al. 1991) . Weathers and Newman (1997) found that the use of several organizational procedures during summer bass tournaments significantly reduced mortality during and after weigh-ins in Alabama. Most important of these

procedures was adequate water quality in boat livewells and recovery tanks, sufficiently low air temperature during weigh in (< 90 degrees F), low numbers of anglers weighed in during 30 minute intervals (< 50), and expedience of weigh-in (shorter holding times are better).Flowthrough boat livewells containing greater than 6 ppm oxygen have also been found to

significantly reduce tournament post-release mortality (Gilliland 1997a).

A recent study found that delayed and total mortality rates reported for tournament caught bass during the 1990s were not significantly different from those observed during the 1980s (Wilde 1998). This finding suggests that recommendations made by fisheries researchers have not been heeded or utilized by tournament organizers. The same study indicated that tournament-related mortality caused most delayed mortality and could be reduced by practices such as: 1) restricting or prohibiting fishing gears that can be swallowed deeply or otherwise injure fish during hooking, playing, and landing; 2) restricting numbers and types of tournaments held during warmer months; 3) reducing stress on larger fish by encouraging early weigh-in and release;
    4)adopting alternatives to traditional weigh-in procedures (i.e. fish are caught, photographed or measured, and immediately released). Although the TWRA has not established criteria or regulations requiring any of these procedures, bass tournament administrators are strongly encouraged to incorporate them when organizing bass fishing events.

1. Post-release mortality - Most organized bass fishing events endorse catch and release. However, recent studies indicate that overall tournament mortality rates range from very low to as high as 60% for released fish, and mortality is especially high during the summer months (Shramm et al. 1991a). Fishing tournament participants must abide by TWRA’s daily catch limits which are designed to prevent depletion of quality sized bass. Most tournament organizers are committed to live release of bass, but must continue refining their techniques to promote survival.

2. Displacement of fish - Tournament weigh-ins are generally held at boat ramps where fish are weighed and held in recovery tanks prior to release. Largemouth bass have a tendency to remain close to where they were released, which may impact densities in other parts of the reservoir and cause higher potential for competition near the release site (Stang et al. 1996; Healey 1990 ).

3. Conflict with other user groups - Approximately 10% of anglers interviewed in the TWRA’s annual phone survey complained of interference with tournament anglers (Fly et al. 1997). Tournament anglers can greatly reduce ramp and parking space at departure points, making it difficult for other users to access the reservoir. Many of these problems are compounded by increasing numbers of reservoir users competing for inadequate numbers of access facilities with insuffient funding for maintenance and expansion (National Recreation Lakes Study Commission 1999).

You can find another good article at:

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_bio...ummer_bass.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Viper, I was one of the ones who chimed in. I never said I was anti-tournament, just the opposite. I fish them, I help organize them, heck, we even have our own circuit (ISC) Unless they are a biologist and have the facts to back up his claims and not a maybe? He is really getting nowhere. It may have been a very well written article, doesn't make it right, just makes it his opinion. Since he is not a biologist, that is all it is, an opinion. I have stated several times, we would support you 150% if you had facts, not conjecture or guess work.

We run our own Tournaments as I stated. Our rules are with the fishery in mind. We have a 4 fish limit. We have no summer Tournaments. We have alternate hours to utilize natures own cooling system. We have not had a dead fish yet. We have also set our size limit on any river @ 14" That is above what the state calls for.

I truly wish you would see this is not anything against Tournament anglers. This is about error on the side of caution. The sooner we realize we are on slippery slope if we don't all band together, the sooner we will see results that benefit us all and the fishery.

Sincerely, Ray Rigby

Post Thanks / Like

makes you wonder how many fish survive the frying pan by all the other fishermen.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Viper201 is trying to drag West Boggs back into the tournament vs. anti-tournament argument. I’m afraid that this is one of those issues that is never going to be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction. As for the subject of delayed mortality, I have no doubt that a study could be done to prove Bass can be safely caught, held and released, with little or no harm to the fish. Given enough well designed equipment, attention to how that equipment is used, etc. The problem, as we all know, is that out in the field that theoretical “ideal” situation is not what really happens.

In our activities at West Boggs, we often get calls from people who are concerned about something in the water that is killing fish. They wonder if we have used some chemical for weed control, or if farm waste is running into the lake, or whatever. A good portion of these calls come from bass anglers, and some are from tournament participants. They get concerned when they see a number of larger Bass floating in the lake.

It happened again just this week. I went out myself and saw several dead Bass over 14 inches that were turning white but not falling apart, indicating they had been dead a few days. That was Tuesday, meaning the fish had likely died about Sunday or Monday. I saw no indication of dead smaller bass, no other species, and no bass fresher or older than those described here.

This is not a scientific study, I assure you, but what chemical, disease, or other factor that might kill only keeper sized Bass, all in a compressed time frame, all on or about the same day? What kind of factor could be selective to that species, size range, and schedule? A predator that was this selective would obviously have eaten the fish, not just killed them.

The most likely, although admittedly not provable, cause is that these fish were caught and released and then died. The fact that there were tournaments on the lake on Saturday and Sunday is at the very least, cause for wonder. With air and water temperatures now lower, tournament held fish should not be so greatly impacted as we might expect in mid-summer. Were they just not well handled? I don’t know, but to just claim it is not a result of tournament activity because some folks don’t want to hear that is just non-sense.

And then on the other hand, if these fish , which were all of legal size, were simply taken home for meat, would that have had any more or less impact on the overall fishery?

In my opinion, there is a whole lot more for us all to consider in these issues than just which faction is going to win an argument. Just proving that fish can be released unharmed is a long way for actually making that the norm.

Post Thanks / Like

"makes you wonder how many fish
    survive the frying pan by
    all the other fishermen."

The point here is that these fish are being used, consumed, the resource is being used. When fish are thrown back to just float to the top, they are wasted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is a law against waste and want here in Indiana. So are these people breaking the law?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this what you are asking about?

IC 14-22-10-7
    Effort to retrieve crippled or killed wild animals
    Sec. 7. A person may not kill or cripple a wild animal without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal and include the animal in the person's daily bag limit.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Is this what you are asking about?

From the 2005 Indiana Fishing Guide:

Sorting Fish

Anglers are responsible for maintaining fish in a healthy condition if they wish to return that fish to the water. Dead and dying fish cannot be released back into the water. However, sorting of fish may be allowed within the bag limit if fish are in a healthy condition at the time of release. Fish must be released into the water from which they were taken and be able to swim away normally. At no time may anglers have more than a bag limit of fish in their possession while engaged in a day’s fishing. All fish in possession must meet legal size limits. For example, if you catch five largemouth bass (daily bag limit is five) and later that day catch a larger largemouth bass, it is legal to release any of the other fish in good condition in order to keep the larger one.

Wanton Waste of Fish

The intentional waste and destruction of fish is prohibited unless the fish is required by law to be killed. Fish must not be mutilated and returned to the water unless the fish is lawfully used as bait. Fish parts, including entrails, must not be discarded into any state waters, but should be disposed of in a sanitary manner that does not pollute the water or become detrimental to public health or comfort.

-Team9

Post Thanks / Like

I think the real issue here is getting ALL of the tourney anglers to take care of their catch. Carry ice if it's hot, run your aereator's constantly, and add the supplements to the water. Every now and then, if you hook one bad, your going to lose one. It happens and it's a fact of fishing. I still think that if West Bogg's Park sees a bunch of fish floating after a tourney they should punish the people who put the tournament on. Either not let them have a date the next year or charge them more. Unless you punish the people doing this they will not get educated and they will not change their ways.
    Eric H.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else actually take the time to read the article,probably not!!A good portion of it talks about measures that anglers can take to keep their fish healthy and hopefully keep them from dying.

As far as dragging west boggs into anything is concerned,i only mentioned boggs because so many of your supporters cited delayed mortality as the reason for no summer tourney's and i thought those people needed to read the article.As far as the dead fish at boggs,why not simply close it to tourney's altogether if you have evidence of losing fish and harming the fishery?I'd think everyone that was screaming "protect the resource" would be right there supporting the decision to ban tournaments completely if you had proof that fish were dying. I see that the reason given for it being closed in the summer is still to ease user conflicts,maybe the wording needs changed on the boggs website?

Ray,how many fish is it ok to lose to delayed mortality?Where do you draw the line between what is an acceptable amount of fish lost and what isn't?I know you organize tournaments and i understand that you favor fishing the cooler months and thats great but you must be losing some fish,what percentage of the fish lost is acceptable?Is it ok to kill 5 % and a mortal sin to kill 10 %,just curious.And,you are absolutely right,we are heading down a slippery slope,toward no tournament fishing anywhere,one little lake at a time.Certain groups with their scientific research are only helping those who want to see tournaments banned completely.

Post Thanks / Like

Lee, yes we lose fish to mortality, I am not trying to be hollier than thou. A five percent mortality rate would be an acceptable number. It is still far less dead fish than those sizzling in a skillet somewhere. I am not for an all out no tournament stance, I love fishing them. I am just trying to point out a few inconsistent conclusions. Comparing a study down on Lake Fork to Monroe would be like comparing a Volkswagon to a Mercede Benz. It just doesn't compare at all.

We can educate all the anglers in the world, but untill they actualy apply what is good for the fishery on the water and at weigh ins, we are just preaching on deaf ears. The sad reality is, the more you talk, the less people listen. It is a proven fact that gizzard shad are a sure ingredient for disaster to the watershed they are introduced to. Does it stop the englers from releasing them? Nope, not at all, they know whats best for the fishery, god forbid they actualy listened to a biologist. The worst part of it is, most was done by tournament anglers.

We as tournament anglers need to clean up our image a bit before anyone will take us seriously in any argument.

Let's use a hypothetical question concerning Boggs. Let's say they allowed tournaments during the entire year. Take this toppled with the gizzard shad that have been reintroduced. Now let's say five years from now all the big bags have but all dissapeared and the old days of a couple keepers winning are starting to rear it's ugly head, than what? Where do you go from here? Are the same fellas that are ranting and raving about it now going to be there to restock and help the fishery back to it's feet? No, probably not, they will just simply move on to the next body of water that is "HOT" This is the mindset of most tournament anglers. I am not one of them and I hate when are all lumped into one category. I for sure don't want to be associated with such folks, nor would I ever go to bat for them.

You see the win at any cost in club tournaments, let alone on a bigger stage. Most tournament anglers I meet are, cocky,arrogant and think they are Rick Clunn or someone special. There not, they are simply fishermen who's ego is so large they could care less how they get there or what they have to do to get there, including total destruction of watershed if it will forward their career.

I answered most of those questions with the "Probably Not" simply because that was the final statement in the article as was most of the answers. If ya want true mortality rates during tournaments, check with our biologist, not the ones from Florida or Texas. These studys will be a little skewed don't you think?

As was stated previously, you can find any study you want to bend your way. It is an acceptable resolution to meet in the middle somewhere and compromise on both sides will resolve a sticky issue quicker than throwing paperwork at each other. Heck as far as that goes, I can find stuff to side with PETA with, not that I ever would, just pointing out what is out there. Indiana has very little water compared to others, why not take better care of what we have?

Sincerely, Ray Rigby

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we definitely need to do something to protect the bass more and decrease the mortality percentage. However, there may be some lakes and water systems that close to tournament fishing but I don't think you will ever see the impact high enough to stop tournaments at all bodies of water. Some lake areas primary income is from tournament fishing. Take Kentucky and Barkley lake for example. If the tournaments were stopped that are would go under quick. They realized this several years ago when all the resorts were backing killing all the grass and they soon realized that without the grass you loose a lot of fishermen and that is a larger portion of their income than pleasure boaters. I don't think you can ever put a number on whats acceptable to mortality rate but to do that your going to have to put a nummber on the total number of fish taken for a year for the meat eaters. Nothing burns me more than to see a person put a 4+ lber in the livewell to take home and eat.

Charlie