Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Truck break-in at Angel Mounds

I've read about the break-ins at Patoka and felt sorry for those guys but now it has hit home, literally. I put in the river at Angel Mounds boat ramp around 1 this afternoon and came back about 4:30 to find two windows smashed in on my surbuban, the truck ransacked and anything of value taken. Makes a guy want to commit murder. The deputy was sympothetic but like he said, theres very little they can do. I'll not use Angel Mounds ramp again. I'll put in at the ramp in downtown Evansville and burn the extra gas it takes to get where I'm going. If it's your habit to use Angel Mounds you may want to reconsider.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Truck break-in at Angel Mounds

Over the last 3 years I have had my car broken into twice, and about 8 years ago had my car stolen. Both times when they broke in they smashed the windows out, both times the car was locked, also locked when it was stolen. Each time they got away with very little, first time about $10 in change and 2 packs of cigs, the second time they got an empty case, a broken watch, and a cheap pair of sunglasses. Since then I leave my car unlocked at all times, and do not leave anything of value in my car. Since then I know of at least 3 times people have looted through my car, but they didn't break windows of find anything to take, just messed up some papers and receipts. There for a while it was pretty aroudn town for apartment communities to get hit nightly by the bandits, they even patroled with police cars, but it didn't stop them. I learned my lesson a few times, I would rather reorganize a few pieces of paper and receipts than put in a new window or stearing column again.

Post Thanks / Like

Were there "attendants" on-duty when your truck was broken into, you know, the one's who take your money?

Post Thanks / Like

No attendents at angel mounds after labor day. There are river camps within sight of the parking area. Maybe it is best to leave the vehicle unlocked with nothing in it. It would be my luck that they would cut up the seats........

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    Sorry to hear about your loss. It's getting to be where nothing is safe anymore in this world.

I went out the ohter day to fish since the weather was so nice. Calmn, with clouds and temps in the upper 50s. Nice day too.

I was trying to figure out where to fish and I remembered the posts in here about the Patoka Lake incidents. So I decided to fish Otter Pit so that I could park the truck where I could see it while fishing. Blue Grass's fishing spots that I frequent are out of sight of the launch ramp parking lot and I am fearful of parking there these days.

It's a crying shame that we can't trust our fellow mankind to leave our vehilces in peace.

I hope they catch the SOB's real soon. This could happen to anyone of us in the future.

Again I am sorry to hear that your truck was broken into. Hopefully your insurance may help cover the loss or at least the truck's damage.

I went down to Yankeetown's ramp this summer and took some pictures with my Pentax SLR camera. I finally got the film developed last week and just finished scanning the photos into my new scanner today. Now I had planned on fishing the Little Pigeon Creek from the River up to the Launch ramp but not until they catch these vandals.

Maybe I'll see you on Otter Pit. The crappie were schooling up really good Wed afternoon. Water temps at the surface were reading 48 deg F. I am thinking that that was pretty chilly water and maybe the cheap Minn-Kota temp Gauge that I got at Walmart was off. But it has been pretty cold at night this last few weeks.

Man today looks great out side. I still may decide to head back out and fish again. Looks like it will be at Otter pit again though. I had planned on going to Blue Grass or even Loon but not now after reading your post.

Thanks for posting what happened. It's a warning to all of us to be on the Lookout for these vandals.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

It burns my butt that we have to pay attendants to launch at Boat ramps on the Ohio River that were built with our tax money. The corp built those ramps and gave them to the county or city goverment. In turn the city leases them out to a private party and they are suppose to maintain the launch ramp area. I'll bet that the attendants don't make much money and someone is getting rich off this.

I stopped going to the river for many reasons. Boat too small for the waves etc but one of the reasons was the price to launch a boat.

At KY lake and many other lakes there are free launch ramps that were built with Tax money.

We need to setup one of them Digital Cameras near the parking lots and make sure that it works. I have seen them at Walmart and other stores. Evidently they work like a motion detector spotlight and will take a picture when something gets in range and in the ir beam. I talked to a guy once about using one of these camera to catch illegal dumpers in the Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife area. Last year I saw that someone had dumped a bunch of old car tires along the gravel road that goes from Loon Pit to Boonville New Harmony Road. And then someone else dumped an old appliance at one of the parking lots. Man the DNR has better things to do than to clean up after people's garbage.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    Was this a weekday when that happened? Maybe someone at one of the River Camps saw something. Might not hurt to talk to anyone that lives down there. Not sure if they live in those river camps year round or just during the summer months. I know people that have camps down by the Dogtown ramp. I use to work with two of those guys a few years ago. They have some really nice camps down there complete with boat docks.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

It could not have happened to a nicer guy.

I feel your pain, I do, I do.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll need an additional explanation on your remark......

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't responding to your thread.