Search Fishin.com

Thread: Monroe 10/28/05

Post Thanks / Like

Monroe 10/28/05

Went for wipers. Got to the lake about 2:30 p.m. Put in at Moore's Creek. Windy. Cool. Didn't take the water temp but it was probably in the mid-fifties. Water looked like coffee with a little cream in it. fished the area in front of the viaduct. Nothing. About sunset we fished an area below Ransburg Scout Camp and got two 5 pounders and on 3.5 pounder. Caught them on chartreusse Striper Stump Jumpers with 4 inch tails. They all took the lure real deep, which is something they usually do not do. Nice fish. Nice afternoon. Lost a set of keys on the Moore's Creek Ramp. Anyone find them?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Monroe 10/28/05

Went to Monroe today (11/02/05). Weather was absolutely great but the fishing wasn't. I went for wipers also but other than landing a 13 pound flathead (on a jig no less) I struck out on wipers. Fished most of my favorite spots and sonar showed fish were suspending there but could not get them to bite. Anyone who knows how to dependable catch these fish has my admiration. This has got to be one of the toughest years on Monroe for wipers That I have had. I will say that after the front that passed yesterday, the barometer was on the rise all day. So much for excuses. Hope I can give some better advise next time. Thank you for your report Slowretrieve.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, 3sons, my pleasure. I did not report (for obvious reasons) that I returned to Monroe On Sunday the 30th of October and after four hours of fishing wipers, struck out as well. The lake was flat and the sun was out. There was no surface activity and no active feeders I could see. I trolled deep and trolled shallow, but nothing bit. I am not fond of humility, and I really don't like it when it comes to a great fishing lake like Monroe, and I really, really don't like it when it is only two days after a successful fishing venture, but I guess that's just how it is sometimes. Those are the times when it probably would not matter if you had nightcrawlers along, they just aren't biting. I will head to Monroe again tomorrow, Friday, and will let you know how it goes. Let me know if you go out again--maybe we can both narrow our searches some.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for the reply. I know what you mean by good one day bad the next. The best day of wipers I had there occurred about 3 years ago. It was hard to keep them off your hook. We also went back next day but a front moved in over night and with a east wind only was able to catch 1 fish. I try to go to Monroe once or twice a month this time of year. Normally I go it alone from now on because most of my friends are in the deer woods. If you need any company on your next trip give me a call. Good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great. I'm headed down there today, but I already have a boatful. We'll get together one day. It would be fun to compare notes and styles with another wiper enthusiast. Yesterday I saw a good site for wiper specific lures. Here it is. Looked like pretty fair pricing. WWW.FISHTECHOUTDOORS.COM
    It is out of somewhere in KS.

Thought you might find it interesting.