Search Fishin.com

Thread: water pump

Post Thanks / Like

water pump

i have a 1977 johnson 70hp owned it about a year,put new impeler and thermostat in week or two ago,no problems, but i never noticed a stream of water before or after the work. seems like newer motors have that stream of water shooting out the side of the motor somewhere,you think this year and type of motor is different,any input will help put my mind at ease thanks

Post Thanks / Like

RE: water pump

You should have water spraying out.You may have put the impeller on backwards.It looks the same both ways but there is a wrong way and a right way.

Post Thanks / Like

mine is about the same year and has no water coming out. i just got it last year so i never really paid attention(bad, shame, etc...) to the water outlet. does this thing have temp sensors? it will run great for about 15 minutes then cuts out like it loses spark or its not getting gas. i put in new plugs and pulled and cleaned the carbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter what year it is, it will still pi$$ water. Check and see if the actual hose is clogged, if not, need to check the pump. Keep running it with no water coming thru and your going to get a very rude awakening to the tune of a new motor.

Ray Rigby

Post Thanks / Like

with the thermostat out water will discharge out the exaust port.boat dealership told me its ok to run without thermostat in summer but not in winter,so put the thing back in last weekend, no water discharge anymore. motor did allright all day no over heating or cutting off,so i dont know what to do now. oh spaz my motor was hard to get up on plain i cleaned the carbs,new plugs,ran seafoam through it,and changed fuel tank and hose, after all summer it finly started running good, seems like ever time it strugled getting up on plain the ball had lost presure,keep eye on that hope it helps, fishhunter

Post Thanks / Like

>Doesn't matter what year it is,
    >it will still pi$$ water.
    >Check and see if the
    >actual hose is clogged, if
    >not, need to check the
    >pump. Keep running it with
    >no water coming thru and
    >your going to get a
    >very rude awakening to the
    >tune of a new motor.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >Ray Rigby

How can the tune of a new motor be a rude awakening? I love the sound of a 225 running across the lake in the morning. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Well the water spraying out of every motor is not true. Some 70's Johnson's and Evinrude's didn't have an overboard indicator. If the motor doesn't have a hose off of the exhaust cover going over the top of the motor to the lower pan it can't have a stream. These motor's had a small amount of water coming out of the idle relief ports, back of the motor , 2 holes below the lower pan. The bigest mistake I see when someone does the work themselves, when putting the lower unit back on, the water tube from the powerhead down to the lower unit misses the waterpump housing, causing no water flow to the powerhead. I have done this a few times myself, even after doing 4-5 water pump job's a month, it's not hard to do.

Tom