Search Fishin.com

Thread: Monroe Hybrids

Post Thanks / Like

Monroe Hybrids

Guys, I hate to tell you this, but for the most part, the hybrid fishing is over for the year, especially the big ones. Due to the cooler water temps we have now, they will hardly chase fast moving crankbaits or jigs being trolled. Live bait presented very slowly along the bottom in my humble opinion is the only way you are going to even remotely have a chance at a 10 lb plus. And by the way, they do bite at daylight in the spring and will bite all day. I have fished the lake for over 16 years and if you go alot, you can pattern them. However, some days they just will not bite period, I dont care what you try.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Monroe Hybrids

I just checked the Corp of Engineers Web site for Patoka Lake Water temps and Dissolved Oxygen profiles.

The lake has definately turned over and the Dissolved oxygen is above 5ppm all the way down to 38 ft depths. Water temp is uniform from 38 ft deep all the way up to the surface. I think that there was only a 0.1 or 0.2 deg C temp difference between the bottom of the measurements and the surface water temps.

I'll bet that the stripers are still there and they just have more water to use than during the summer months. They can go down to 38ft now and have plenty of good water and dissolved oxygen.

The corp measurements that I saw stopped at 38 ft deep. I'll bet that it the same way all the way down to the 50ft deeper water as well. They just didn't take the time to measure anything past 38ft or I read the site wrong.

here is the corp web site for Patoka Lake

http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/patl/

copy and paste the above web address into your browser and go to this site. Once you get there look for the temp link and click on that to see the do/temp profile data.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moose do you have a link to Brookville info like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Team9
    Its interesting what a difference a few weeks makes. I noticed that Brookvilles latest survey was conducted on Nov 1st. I think that Patoka's was performed on Nov 7th. Last year I think the last report for patoka was on Oct 25.

Patoka is pretty uniform thoughout right now as of Nov 7th. But Brookville appears to still be stratified on Nov 1st. Wish that the corp would post the Map Coordinates of where they take the temp and do profiles.

I would like to know which part of the lake is being tested.

The reason is that I have heard that maybe some parts of a lake will be turning over while other areas are not yet ready to turn over. I would bet that it all depends on the type of lake and especially the depth of any lake. The more water in a lake the longer it's going to take it to cool off and start to turn over. That is if it stratifies in the first place.

I am not familar with Brookville but I would love to fish that lake someday. I love eating walleyes. One day I hope to check it out. Brookville appears to be a lot deeper than Patoka and I think that maybe it changes depth a lot more than Patoka. I wonder how much water they run though the **** there at Brookville? I bet that information is on the site that you gave us the link for.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, levels and measurements all come from the area adjacent to the dam. That is the deepest part of the lake with all the Corps facilities housed right there.

As for flows, historical for the year (Brookville):

http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/res...plots/bvr.html

and Patoka:

http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/res...plots/prr.html

-Team9

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-05 AT 11:40AM (EST)[/font][p]Thanks Team9:

I appreciate that information. This is good stuff to know. There was a lake level difference of 20 something feet at Bookville. And the flow rate chart goes up to 7000 cfs.

Patoka only varies by a few feet most years. And it's flow rate is much less most years.

Patoka is only about 50+ feet at it's deepest and only averages 20 something feet in depth. Brookville appears to be much deeper.

I sure wish that Brookville was closer to me. LOL I could use a change of pace from crappie fillets. Walleyes sound good.

Regards,

Moose1am