Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tackle Question

Post Thanks / Like

Tackle Question

In every tacklebox I know of there is a red and white spoon. Has anyone ever actually caught anything with one of these?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Tackle Question

depends on what size...when i was little i used to use them on this creek i fish in shelby county and used to catch smallies and rock bass on them...the size that i always used were the ones about 2-4" long

Post Thanks / Like

I think they catch as many as a Lazy Ike does now.

I think it is an old timers lure, I never tried to use one.

Great question though, I guess I will have to go buy one now and try and figure it out. I always like the solid gold color ones, when I have seen them in catalogs.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are referring to the Dare Devil Red/White spoons then yes I have caught many fish on that these baits.

In Canada I used Dare Devils to catch Toothy Northern Pike. At Patoka Lake I caught Northern Pike as well on these spoons.

At Kentucky Lake I have caught many white bass on these spoons.

There are a very good bait to use at times.

If you see some stripers firing on the surface a dare devil spoon is a great bait to use. One of my first times fishing the boiling waters of a striper attack I used a dare devil spoon and hooked into a 2lb White Bass. Talk about fun. That was in the middle of the Summer many years ago on KY lake.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I think Moose1am hit the nail on the head. I asked about this lure on another site and was told time and again that northern pike hit that lure hard. Years ago I fished Northern California's rivers a lot and everyone I knew had one of those lures in their tacklebox but no one ever used it as far as I could tell. I have two of them. Don't know where they come from. They just show up in your tacklebox and never seem to catch anything. In early October I was fishing on Monroe and couldn't seem to catch anything. I had a packet of colored spoons on the boat and decided to give them a try. What a surprize! I got three walleye on a silver spoon, then I got about 40 wipers and a few yellow bass. They cast forever, and with a slow retrieve they'll catch a lot of fish, since they do a great job of mimmicking shad. But that red and white would not catch a thing. Guess I need to head for Canada if I ever want to see it in action. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to you can take some paint remover and take the red/white paint off the lure. Then shine them up real nice and bright with some metal cleaning compound.

I was dragging a Johnson Silver Minnow behind my boat once up at Lyville Pit in Southern IN. I had a nice 3lb bass take a liking to my spoon.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried that recently, but did not need to shine the metal. It was chrome underneath, so all I had to do was put a rag to it. It worked beautifully! I have a bunch of "converted" silver spoons I plan to try on Monroe tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought a five-pack of spoon lures from Wal Mart. They were made by South Bend; $4.85 for a five-pack. The silver spoon has a flashy hologram stuck on the side. It looked real good in the water, but as soon as it hits the water, walleye seem particularly attracted to it. One bite and the hollogram is history. Two bites and you have a nice chrome spoon.

Post Thanks / Like

The time required to do such a thing, and the expense of the paint remover and rubbing compound would seem silly to do when you can buy a shiny lure for a few dollars.

Hey moose I haven't seen you over in the crappie message board, what happened?

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes time and money aren't all that important. Guess it just depends on what gives you a sense of personal satisfaction. Sometimes it just feels good to catch a fish on a "tweeked" lure. Personally, I make many of my own rods. There really is not much point in it because really good rods are readily available at prices much lower than the cost of building them. But, there is just something wonderful about catching a fish on a rod you made yourself, using a lure you customized.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand the satisfaction of catching a fish on a personal customized rod and catchign a fish on a customized lure. However, in my opinioin removing the paint isn't really customizing it, its just removing one part of it, to me customizing is adding to it. Just what we need lures with paint thinner on them to be thrown in a lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Mr. Crappie, in the game of coup counting I will give you this one, although I believe your closing sentence is a bit reaching. Are you, too, a Hayakawa enthusiast?