Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

PVC Fish Attractors Work

One of the guns on crappie.com asked me if I wanted to try out some of his pvc crappie trees and give a report about how they work. He said there were no strings attached. I hessitated at first but finally sent him an email with the necessary information for him to ship me a couple of these things. This was back in July or August this year. Well I finally got around to putting them together and adding them to a lake that I fish sometimes.

Went fishing today and caught 12 fish off them. Not bad. I cleaned and at the entire batch tonight for dinner. Kept three small crappie for my aquarium.

If you tournament fish or fish for fun these things can help you find the fish. They can be modified to stand straight up off the bottom of the lake. I added some 3" OD fun noodles sections inside the 3" pvc pipe and then poured some quickcrete into the base. I built one 10ft long tree out of some thin walled 3" pipe and ten pieces of 1" ID pipe. I used the type of thin wall schedule 40 pvc pipe that has the bell on one end. Cut 2ft off either end of the 10long pipe and fill the 2ft section with concrete. After it's set you can fit the small piece back into the 8ft long piece using the belled end. Just clean and glue the two pieces back together when you are ready to drop it into the lake.

check out this web site for more information. Chef gets his pipe at a discounted price so it's hard to build your own for less than what he sells these for.

I have put three 10ft pvc trees in one area and then dropped a 8ft tree along with another 8ft tree that used 1/2" id pipe for the limbs. I use ten foot long 1" id pipe for my limbs but Chef uses shorter pieces of the 1" id pipe for his limbs.

I use the longer trees in deeper water and the shorter limbed trees in the shallower water. That way I have trees at all depths.

Here is the web site:

www.jandjhabitat.com

It pays dividens to put out some brush piles or fish condos.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

RE: PVC Fish Attractors Work

I have a few in my main lake for bass. They are great for running crankbaits into them, they don't hang up.

You can make your own and it doesn't take very much concrete to sink them.

Bass like verticle structure better than a laydown too.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: PVC Fish Attractors Work

PVC Pipe prices went up a lot over the last year. The price of pipe has doubled in the last year at my supplier. PVC Pipe in Evansville, IN out on Morgan Avenue.

I like the fact that the hooks don't get stuck on the pipe and that crankbaits will bounce off the pipe. That is a sure way to get the bass to bite.

I caughtt a lot of bass of the two PVC trees that I planted last year. I figured the bass used them more than the crappie. Either that or the bass chased the crappie off when I was fishing the trees that day. Maybe they both use the trees but at different times of the day. This is where one of those underwater video cameras would come in handy.

I have a spot where there are about 5 of these PVC trees in the area. I have been catching more crappie off them this fall than ever before. So maybe the area where I put them is going to work afterall.

I read that they are hard to detect on a depth sounder. I guess they don't reflect soundwaves back up to the transducer very well. But I have found that I can see my new trees on my depth finder ok.

Some tournament fishermen (Bass and Crappie) will take these to the lake and use them during a tournament. That can become expensive to do but it would work if it's legal and the tournaemnt directors allow this.

As long as you put them into deep enough water where they are not a hazzard to anyone they should not cause any problems. I guess you should check with the authorities first before placing any in your lakes.

Regards,

Moose1am