Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lynnville Saturday

Fished Lynnville this morning from daylight to about 3pm this afternoon. Water temp 56-58 degrees depending on where I was at. It did heat up to above 60 in certain places this afternoon. Caught 8 total largemouth with no keepers to speak of. Did catch 5 massive Crappie, all on topwater and all around 2 lb each, very tasty for supper this evening. Tried everything for bucketmouths from spinnerbait, crankbait, tubes, jigs, to even verticle jigged for what I thought was a group of bucketmouths deep. Tried everything from main channel areas to back of the feeder "creeks" to back of cuts and coves. No real pattern to speak of. Had not been in a while to Lynnville and was suprised to see the water temp that low. Break out the FNF rod soon.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Lynnville Saturday

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-05 AT 10:06AM (EST)[/font][p]OK you got my attention when you said you caught those massive crappie near the surface. It's been many years since I fished Lynnville. It's only 30 minutes or so from my house and if there are big crappie up there then I would be interested in seeking them out.

I normally fish Bluegrass as it's much closer to where I live. But the crappie in BG seem to run on the small side. Now I have seen a few 14" and 13" White crappie coming out of BG but they are far from being the normal catch.

These deep strip pits may take a long time to cool off and turnover.

Did you get a season pass for Lynnville? I am wondering if they still man the gates on weekends in November?

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

There was nobody at the gate when I went in or out. I used the honor box for my park entrance fee (launch fee). All of the crappie were caught on a Small Pop R with a dressed trebble rear hook and bleeding front treble. They were all caught within 10 minutes of each other so I luckily stumbled into a small school of them. All the largemouth that I caught were scattered out thru the day and various locations. Never got a good pattern. Went for bucketmouths but stumbled into the crappie. I did not buy, no knew an annual fee existed. I pay as I go. Lake level has been pretty stable ever since August when I started fishing the lake. I don't know if it fluxuates or not if this helps any. I fished a few cuts off the main drag on the left towards the T and then to the left at the T.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Wish you guys would hold off on the Lynnville reports. This lake gets way too much pressure as it is...........

Post Thanks / Like

Hey elnutsmalljaws:

Thanks for the report on the crappie. I have started to specialize or targert crappie in just the last two or three years. Reason being is that the lakes I fish all have too many short bass. I want some fish to take home, clean and eat for dinner. Crappie are my meal ticket. I use to fish for bass years ago when there were more of them and I didn't feel guilty about taking home a mess from KY lake and having them to eat. Today it's mostly catch and release and I am ok with that. I want to preserve the resource. Beside there are plenty of small crappie to catch and eat.

I use to fish Lynnville years ago when I first got my boat. But it's been a long time since I have been up there. In fact the last trip up there was with my neighbor and his daughter and one of her little friends. I took them up there for the day. Boat battery was dead when I got there. Boat's carburator has been worked on the fall before by Sibs Marine and they didn't get it right. So the motor's choke was not fixed and the boat would not start. That drained the battery. Then my 25 YO Motor Guide Trolling motor started acting up and would not work. I ended up having to paddle the boat back to the dock as I drifted away. I got pretty upset with that boat that day. Had two little girls asking me what was wrong so I had to be nice but underneat I was steaming at my **** boat. Well after spending about 500 bucks on new optima batteries and taking the boat to East Side Marine to get the Choke fixed right that boat works great.

So I went to Lynnville Yesterday for an hour. I found out that it only takes me 30 minute to get there. It take me 15 to get to Blue grasses closest pit. From BlueGrass pit it's a short drive up I-164 to I-64 then it's only 10 miles East on I-64 to the Lynnville Exit. Then it's only a mile to the park. That only takes about 15 minutes. It must better than going up 61 out of Boonville which is the old way I use to go from my house. That old highway will slow me down. And this time of the year the deer are out in force so driving at dusk and dawn can be hazzardous.

I caught one small 12" bass while trolling at 2.1 mph dragging a small rebel crayfish imitation crankbait behind the boat about 30ft. Caught the bass in only 2 ft of water.

Thanks for your report. It caused me to go fish Lynnville once more and rediscover how nice it is.

BTW. I talked to the lady at the gate yesterday and she told me that the yearly pass is only 15 bucks. It's $2.00 per day if you don't buy the pass.

I think that Lynville is a good place for me to get my check list of camping supplies ready. I might take a tent and go camping up there someday to make sure that I have everything that I need. If I forget something it's not that far to home. So that I can get my check list ready for a longer trip to somewhere like Brookville or KY lake. Got to find me a new tent first. LOL I have been slowing updating my camping supplies getting ready to make a trip someday. Bluegrass has a nice campground that is run by Tom Newmaster. They only charge about 23 bucks for a site with electricity there. And he has nice heated showers and electrical hookups for charging the boat's trolling motor batteries. Lynnville has electric also and I bet it's a bit less expensive. Still 23 bucks is not too bad and right within the price range of most modern camp grounds.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure from where and whom. I have never seen more than 4 trucks with trailers parked there any time I have ever been. There was nobody there when I put in and only 2 when I took out at 3pm. Even back a few weeks or so when it was prime fall time there was never more than 4 trailers parked next to the dock. Put in many mornings at daylight or just after the past few months with nobody else on the water. Unless there is another ramp that boats are putting in, I have not seen many on the ramp or many on the water. Even looking the honor sign in sheet there was very few listed the last few days.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    Sometimes you surprise me mate. I only saw one boat fishing Lynnville besides me. I only fish this lake about once or twice a year. I should fish it more but I enjoy fishing Bluegrass since it's much closer and there are lots of crappie there to keep me intertained. I see more bank fishermen at Lynnville than boaters. Lots of campers there but not many boats. But that is because I only visted the park in late Oct or early Nov when most have alread put the rods away and started chasing deer etc.

Hows the Ohio River fishing going these days? Do you ever catch any crappie on crankbaits while fishing for bass? If so please tell me where. LOL. I have not fished the Ohio River but once or twice for sauger and that was only one time below the **** at Newburgh.

Regards,

Moose1am