Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Bass Pro Shop opens today

It's located between the verterans parkway and 131 exits in Southern Indiana off of I-65.

280,000sq.ft. of goodies

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

RE: New Bass Pro Shop opens today

Thanks for the note Larry. Hope all is well.

Went to Lynnville yesterday in spit of having a sore throat and feeling a cold coming on. Caught one short bass but only really fished for about one hour at the most. Just basically wanted to see what the launch ramp looked like up there. Had a good time.

I catch bass all the time while crappie fishing but this was the first bass that I have caught while trolling a crankbait. Trolling is an excellent way to check out a new lake or unfamilar lake.

We need to get together and go see that new BPS store soon.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose......I went to the new BPS after work today. **** is it nice. I bought a Spirex 1000FE reel for that new B/M Rod. It is balanced about perfect. The rods end tip is right at 1/8th opening. That's big enought for about any bobber stop. The rod is fairly stiff until the end where it is probably fast action. I like it so far and it sure is light. Can't wait to try it out. I believe it'll be a good rod for about any kind of fishing. I've e-mailed Ed 2 times about getting a new password. I ain't heard a thing from him so if I don't hear from him by the end of the week F him and his site.

Crazy weather HuH?

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that information. Sounds like you got a good combination there. I caught the flue Sunday and have been trying to get over this blasted bug. Feeling a bit better today. Sore thoat is gone and I am not coughing anymore. First time I got the bug in many years. Tylenol Cough&Sore Throat worked. My neighor was nice enough to bring me some cough medicine and even when out of his way to get me some hot chinese soup yesterday. That soup hit the spot. :) Egg drop soup or whatever they call it. It's cold here now after all that rain.

I am so sick and tired of hearing about Tornado Warnings that I could scream. All day and night for the last 48 hr that is all I have heard. I sure hope noone got injured by any twisters. We have wave after wave of storms coming though this area.

When I finally get over this cold I am going to head up that way to take a look at the new store.

I especially want to check out the aquarium with all the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Larry:
    After reading your post I got my calipers out and went out to the boat and measured the Inside diameter of the 10ft long Richard Williams Signature Series Rod. It was only 2mm inside diamter on the last guide at the tip end of the rod. That calculated out to 1/128" in size. 2.54cm to the inch or 2540mm to the inch. 2mm divided by 2540 is about 0.008" or 1/128". That is why the float and fly bobber stops won't pass though the end of Richard Rod very easily. Even the smallest beads (bobber stops) have a hard time getting though that opening. So the new BnM Float and fly rod sure looks appealing to me now. Thank you very much for that useful piece of information.

There is a good discussion on the float and fly methods on the KY board here on fishin.com.

As for why Ed won't answer your emails? I have no clue. He use to answer mine but at times it took him a while. Which email addy did you use for him? Slab or the other one? He has more than two email address that he using for crappie.com

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Is it as big as Plapp's Outdoors?

Post Thanks / Like

Much bigger than Plapps. Take a super wally world and add about 1/5th more and thats about what you looking at in size.

I went the other night and spent most of my time in the fishing department. I did look at the depthfinders for a few minutes right before I left. I'd like to have a Lowrance 102X color unit for up front. I probably have one before next spring.
    I'm going back after work today just to see the rest of the place. Might find something else I don't need.

Nice place go see it if you can. The one corner is full of boats plus all the ones outside if you like their boats.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. I will go there in the spring, when they have their sale on plastics and cranks. Don't need many cranks, but need to replenish the Zoom and Yum etc... Their sale paper they sent me said 50% off on all Zoom plastics right now.

My 2003 Lowe 170W is paid for, so I can't really justify a boat. I only have a 50hp Yamaha on it, but I don't fish tournaments and it doesn't use much gas.

Going out later today and just fish out of an ole' jon boat on a small pond.

Post Thanks / Like

Bigger is not always better

Yes any and every bass pro shops will be bigger than a small store like ours as far as tackle goes. Boats, they can't touch us, especailly on quality of product.

Now does bigger mean better on the tackle end of it???? I don't think so, most chain stores purchase their tackle once a year and the same for every store nationwide. A small local tackle store orders only for their market, every week with the local anglers guidance. So if a roadkill camo with purple spec tube is hitting on Barren, then the local guy can get that it everyday of the week if need be. Plus the small guys have the ability to carry lots of local and regional baits that the big boys don't even know about. I would bet money that our tackle store would smoke any national chain 10 out of 10 times when it comes to putting in the anglers hands baits for the area, not just our store but a lot of local tackle stores around the state like Backwaters in Somerset or Black Hawk in Indy. Take those items and the fact that you will get expert advise every time at a local tackle store and you will find yourself bypassing the big box stores after the honeymoon.

Matt Plapp

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Bigger is not always better

Amen Matt!
    I hit Cabelas and Gander Mountain with the best of them. But I know I can get what better fishermen than I think works best for area fishing at my local favorite in Indy, The Outdoorsman in south Indy, plus all the tips and advice I feel like asking for. As far as Patoka goes, I have a tradition of breakfast at the Hey Jude diner, and b.s.ing with Scott at Tony's Trailers and Boats next door. He has a surprising amount of lures there with, once again, the stuff Patoka anglers like to use. They all get my money . . . maybe that's why my wife would like to see more fish than I usually bring home.

Tracker Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Your right Matt but it's the only store we have around us for tackle other than wally world and a few places in Louisville. If I lived up your way I'd probably shop your store all the time.

I'll agree with you 100% about the boats.

My son talked to someone from your store last week about a used boat you have for sale. I haven't talked to him since late last week about it. I told him I'd ride up with him to look at it. Ya'll do have a nice place and a very good reputation for a boat dealer. Something to be proud of for sure.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-05 AT 09:16AM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-05 AT 09:14*AM (EST)[/font]

Matt,

You make a lot of good points. I love tackle shops no matter how big they are, I always get a compulsion to buy something that I have not seen anywhere else.

You have to admit though, that when they can sell name brand crankbaits 1/2 price on their sales, it is going to bring people into the store and they are going to buy other items that are not on sale.

I have seen this same example when the SuperWal-Mart opened in Terre Haute. I could get $5 crankbaits for $3 etc.... That was when there were other tackle shops in town, several very small ones. 5 years later, all the small tackle shops are gone. Predator business tactics that the small business man can't compete with.

The only way for the small business to survive now is with quality. When spring time comes around and most anglers are looking to re-stock the box, the big sales at BassPro and GanderMountain types etc... are going to be the first stop.

I will promise you I will come on in your shop and check it out when I am in the area, I for sure will be making some purchases.

I have seen your ad on the Outdoor Channel last week, but the ad does not mention your location unless I missed it. I need my electronics updated next year and would be glad to give you a chance to sell me the unit and install it.

thanks,
    topwater