Search Fishin.com

Thread: Skull Mount

Post Thanks / Like

Skull Mount

Obviously this isn't a fishing post but I know there are some hunters here and I had no where to turn so I thought I'd see if you guys could help me.

The 8 pointer I shot isn't worth mounting so I'm wanting to do a skull mount. The processor gave me the scalp wwith fur/antlers but I'm not sure what to do. I've heard to dig all of the meat out of the skull and salt it, I've heard boil the scalp and salt it, and I've heard to just salt the scalp.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the easiest/best way to do this?

Thanks,
    W. Amos

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Skull Mount

When I did mine, I tried boiling it and it left so much crap stuck to it still. I would try getting as much as possible cut and scraped off before boiling, then boil it. I have also heard of using honey or syrup on spots you cant get and laying it outside, and the bugs will peel it off. I have never done this though. I have also heard of using baking soda when boiling, because it helps the stuff to come off.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Skull Mount

WMAMOS,

Ive been a part time taxidermist for many years. Heres what I do for customers wanting a "European mount" (full skull and horns). Remove as much meat, eyes, lower jaw, and brains as you can with a sharp knife or scalpel. Be careful not to cut into or scratch the bone. Get a pot big enough to cover the skull. Add about a quarter cup of podwer laundry detergent to the water and bring to a hard boil. Do NOT put the skull in the boiling water yet. Shut of the heat then put the skull in up to the horns. Try not to let the horns get in the water. After the water has cooled to touch, scrape off the loose meat and brains. Repeat until skull is completely clean. If you place the skull in the boiling water, it loosens the joints in the skull and damages the bone. Some people want the upper teeth left on, most do not. Use a saw and just cut the teeth and upper jaw so the skull will lay flat. If you know thats what you want, that shouls be step #1. It makes cleaning easier. let the skull dry completely. Get some peroxide from a hair salon. Hydrogen peroxide from the drug store will not work. Clorine bleach will damage the bone. Apply the salon peroxide with a brush, place in a plastic bag overnite, and rinse and let dry the next day. Make a hanger from wire and hang. The total cost is about $30.00 for the peroxide. Two IMPORTANT hints. Do this outside and don't let the better half know what you are doing with her pot!!!

Have fun,
    Yaz