Search Fishin.com

Thread: CHRISTMAS GIFT

Post Thanks / Like

CHRISTMAS GIFT

I have asked my family to include a electric filet knife on my wish list. what is the best between a mister twister and a rapala.

Thanks and merry Christmas!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: CHRISTMAS GIFT

I bought a Rapala Filet knife when the new BPS opened up. I got a 120 volt/12 volt model. It came in a real nice carrying case and even a fold up board to clean fish on. It looks like it may have a tad bigger motor in it from the size of the handle. I haven't used it yet but will next spring. Looks like I'm done fishing this year.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my experience with the American Angler's Fillet Knifes. Yours may be differnt. ie I could have got a knife that was made on Mon or Friday.

I have three of the different types of American Angler Fillet Knives right now.

I love the 110volt and the 12 V DC external Powered Models. I have cleaned over 300 crappie with them in the last two years and they work great. Never failed me.

However I purchased two of the American Angler Portable Battery Operated Fillet Knifes and didn't like any of them. One never would hold enough charge to get me though one fish. The other overheated in my hands and started smoking when I used it the first time. And I was cleaning a small crappie. I put that knife back away and got the other external powered unit out to clean the other 12 crappie that night.

Again I could have just got a lemon unit so your going to have to talk to others to see if all the American Angler Portable Units are like this.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Larry:
    Do you remember when we caught those crappie last Oct and we cleaned them with my fillet knife in your cabin at Patoka Lake? We used your 110volt to 12 volt converter to power my 12 volt external powered American Angler Fillet knife. We got that job done in record time. I still have not figured out how that converter worked with my knife.

After I got back home I went to radio shack an bought a converter just like yours. I thought it was just like yours anyway. I could not get it to power my 12v DC fillet knife. It didn't put out enough amps. I needed at least 12 amp to power my fillet knife. Now I use my portable battery/jumper/charger pack to power that fillet knife. It's a portalbe power supply that I can take anywhere with me. It only weights about 12lbs or so and I can take it in the boat with me. Not only will it power my fillet knife but it will jump my boat's/trucks battery if it dies. ie I can jump start the truck or boat with it. It also has a built in light and a cigarette lighter receptical. I would much rather get shocked by 12volt dc current than a 110 volt AC current. LOL I have both types of electric fillet knifes and use the 12v dc unit the most. But they both work very well.

PS I went though three Radio shack converters trying to get them to power my 12 volt unit and ended up taking all the converters back to radio shack. They have one converter unit that would have worked but it cost too much. It was one that put out more than 12 amps I think.

I still can't figure out how your little converter worked so well at your camp? Shakes head and walks away mumbling to myself

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Christmas gifts, I just recieved a gift certificate to give to my father and brother for a trip with Dave Stewart on KY Lake next year. But....I've been up late at night dreaming of those ledge fish and am wondering.....would it be against the Christmas spirit to keep the trip for myself???

Post Thanks / Like

Take your dad fishing with you on that trip. You and your brother can always go fishing later. I'd give my right arm to have my dad to still go fishing with today. I personally relished ever fishing trip with my dad that we ever took together.

Or Why not see if all three of you can go fishing together?

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I use an American but I switched the blades out to the type that the mister twister uses. I just think it cuts better than the curved knifes but I think the American has more power than the twister. So far I have had mine around 2 years and have had no trouble at all with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Browning electric filet knife at Bass Pro last year. It was nice with both options of AC/DC to 110 or 12v connects.

The only problem was, after a marathon fish cleaning operation, there were plastic inserts to line the blades up that wore out. I don't know where to get replacement blades.

Poor design though, no way those blades would hold up cleaning fish for very long. Bluegill are some tough fish, but those blade pins should never have been made out of plastic.

Don't buy Browning for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Which AA knife did do you use? They make several different types? Do you have a portable rechargable AA knife that has worked for you? I could have gotten a lemon.

I read on another forum that anohter brand of recharable fillet knife would let the guy fillet for hours. Can't remember the brand name off the top of my head right now. I hate when that happens. :( It was not AA or Mr Twister or Rapella.

I once had a sunbeam rechargable fillet knife that I used with good sucess.

I guess what I really want to know is this. Has anyone else had good luck with the AA recharable fillet knifes in the last two years?

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    The American Angler is the best by far. I have tried Mister Twister and the Rapala. Neither lasted when put to the test of regular cleaning. I have also tried the rechargeables. It must be a design flaw because they will not hold charges. My favorite model is a saltwater 110v. I've cleaned hundreds of fish salt and fresh no problems.