Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum Bass Boats

I'm consdiering making the transition from fiberglass to aluminum in an attempt to save a little cash on fuel in 2006. This will allow me to get out of my suburban and into a smaller SUV.

I'm looking hard at a '05 Tracker Pro Team 185. Does anyone have any opinion one way or another on this model or something similar? Obviously i'm losing the weight of a fiberglass boat so it may not ride as smooth and I'll be a little more at the winds mercy. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Aluminum Bass Boats

I made the same transition to an aluminum boat several years ago. I bought a 17' tracker with a 70 hp motor. I really have not had any regrets and I fish the same waters that I fished with a fiberglass boat. The things you give up are ride and usually speed.You will gain towability, fuel savings easier loading/unloading etc. The only lake that has ever posed a problem is Kentucky Lake during high wind periods and that has been fairly rare.Bottom line: If your not fishing high dollar tournaments and are a weekend angler it is a good trade off.

Post Thanks / Like

WMAMOS, I THINK YOU MIGHT BE OVER LOOKING A FEW THINGS. I HAVE OWNED A 18 FOOT ALUMINUM BASS BOAT AND LOVED IT UNTILL I FISHED OUT OF MY BUDDYS GLASS BOAT. STABILITY AND RIDE WERE NOWHERE CLOSE. I FISH STANDING MOST OF THE TIME AND I CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIME I ALMOST FEEL IN. ITS NOT JUST HIGH WINDS ITS ALSO IF YOU HAVE A GUY IN THE BACK. I DO AGREE WITH THE FELLA AHEAD OF ME IT DEPENDS ON THE STYLE OF FISHING YOU DO. I NOW OWN A 2000 RANGER R73 I COULD NOT AFFORD A 21 FOOTER NOR THE GAS TO TOW IT ALL OVER THE SUMMER. BUT TO ME THAT LITTLE BIT OF EXTRA GAS IS WORTH THE AGGRAVATION OF BEING BLOWN AROUND THE LAKE LIKE A LEAF. BUT IF YOU FISH SMALLER LAKES AND FLOAT FISH FOR BLUEGILL AND CRAPPIE THE TRACKER MIGHT BE THE TICKET. HOPE THIS HELPS!GOD BLESS!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an '02 Tracker Pro 185 with a 75 hp Mercury outboard. I mostly use it for white bass, stripers, wipers, walleye, crappie and perch. I don't think I've ever been on a fiberglass boat, so I can't be much help there. I used to have a 16' aluminum with a 25 hp boat. It was narrow, so I was always at the mercy of waves, wakes, winds and wiggling. I do not notice that much with my '02. It seats two very comfortably and will seat three without much effort on anyone's part. She floats in 6-8 inches of water with the big motor running, so I can't complain about that, especially when you a year with a lot of spring rain or one like 2005 where Monroe is 5 feet down. The gas mileage is terrible, I think, until I talk to other guys with larger motors. I go out every week, weather permitting, and I probably fill up about every 4th or 5th outing. Top speed is 40 to 42 mph, depending on the weight and wind. With the modified V hull used by Tracker since about '01, it takes rough water without any trouble. You never get the bone-jarring ride that you get in a true jon. The boats are a little weak on reliability coming out of the factory, but the cures are not expensive. The braces on the underside of the hatches, for instance, don't hold. The spot welds give from standing on them, but you can screw in some thick angle aluminum and cure that at minimal expense. I also had trouble with the live well. Once I replaced the original motor and re-routed some of the tubing, the trouble was gone. The trailer bunks were a problem. Twice I had them re-welded before I noticed that a lot of trailers don't even have bunks. So a couple of years ago I took them off entirely and haven't had any trouble since. The boat loads and unloads easily. It trailers nicely and I often forget it is behind me. It ride straight on the water, holds the throttle well, and after about a year of small and annoying repairs, it straighten up and doesn't give you any more trouble. You will not like the carpeting. It attracts dirt and stains, and if you are fussy, you will spend a good deal of time cleaning the carpet before you realize that there is no way to get ahead of the game. Just take it to the carwash and power it out about once a month; for a month it will look good.
    That's my take on it. Good luck to you. If I were doing it over I would buy the boat again.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add that you will probably want at least a 4.0 engine to pull that boat. I pulled my with a 3.0 for a couple of years, and it was not bad, but I always felt a little sorry for the engine.

Post Thanks / Like

WMamos,

The 2006 Lowe Stinger 170W is 8.5 inches wider than the 2005 170W. I looked at it and it appears to be about a foot wider than mine (2003 170W). Really a nice boat and they are pulling the price down as an introductory price.

topwater

Post Thanks / Like

WMAMOS
    I have never owned a glass boat but purchased a Tracker 05, PT175 with 50hp. Handles the waves very well, and gives me everything I need or really could use, especially in my circumstances. That being a case of incurable Big C. Felt the overpowering need to buy my first boat and restart fishing. The physical rewards have been amazing BTW. So I might have opted for a fiberglass boat if I had a secure future. But I can say the only thing I have against the aluminum boat is the relative lack of stability when stopped or operating the trolling motor. The guy before is right - if there is a grown adult fishing in the back, his sudden moves from place to place have a noticible effect on you on the bow deck. I grant the fact that I may be a bit shakier on my feet than I once was, but I find it almost impossible to fish while standing with my right foot on the trolling motor control. So I fish sitting down most of the time. I have had a couple of close calls myself due to sudden movements in the back, or just when stopped in very windy water. Nevertheless, what you get in a Tracker for the money is very hard to beat. I just couldn't see spending so much more for the added weight/stability of a glass boat. Hope some of this helps your decision. I would not hesitate to buy another Tracker, but I would certainly buy the longest/widest model I could get in the aluminum. Good luck and God Bless.

Tracker Jon

Post Thanks / Like

I own a 94 tracker deep V .Actually it,s a deep V pro dc. Which means it has a full windshield walk throu.I put the largest trolling motor on it and switch it to 24volt. I now have a boat that can take any wind and troll or sit under my bimini top in the rain,withits 20 foot cord.6o hp. takes me to 40 mph. rough water this boat goes slow , but can handle nice and not get wet like glass boats. My glass boat friends are envious when we fish winter because I also put a propane heater in it. Easy to tow, pulls skiers, or tubes. great seats and dry. Also tows great.And cheep on gas. I did my homework on this boat before buying.Not a better boat out there if you ask me. And believe me I,ve own a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Stability is certainly a key factor when considering any boat, glass or aluminum. However, having owned both, I'd much rather pull and run with an aluminum boat than a glass one. Also, the upkeep on an aluminum boat is very minimal as opposed to the constant care of a quality glass boat that should be wiped down after each use.

That being said, the best boat I've fished from so far is an aluminum G3 HP, 18ft, with a Yamaha 115 4-stroke. Very stable boat and very fast. I have also owned Bass-Trackers too, and there's no comparison to the G3 that I get to fish out of from time to time. The Bass-Tracker wasn't nearly as stable, which made me consider going back to glass boats too until I fished from the G3. I know there are others out there with the same beam deminsions, but G3 or others like them with wide beams are great boats. Also, you can't beat a good 4-stroke for gas efficiency and dependability. Very quiet too.

Anyway, I still prefer aluminum to glass with the information above in mind. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Tracker makes a nice boat, but you would be happier with a G3 or Triton in that model of boat. Not because I sell G3 or Triton, but because it's a lot better boat and not much more money. In 2003 the #1 selling USED boat was a 2003 Tracker 185 Pro Team and the #2 was a 2002 Tracker 175 Pro Team as reported by Boat dealers across the county in Soundings, a boat industry trade magazine. The reason I point this out, is because if a boat leads the used boat market in the same or next model year that's usually an idication of a lot of things, but mostly its due to new boaters coming into the industry and realizing what the really want out of their boat the following year. If you coming from a fiberglass bass boat your not a new boater so your going to be happier with a boat that's a step up. Triton and G3 are 2 of the only ones that come to mind to me of a company that makes a higher end boat for a little more. G3 has the Eagle 185 that sells for $14,000-$16,000 and Triton has a 185 TS that sells for the same price range. Look at the seats, carpet, hinges and handles in the boat and that will show you a world of difference. I've heard Express makes a good boat, but I can't personally attest to that. Lowe and Fisher will be the same quality level as Tracker. If you look into Deep V's, Lund and Monarch are a few that are a step up as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not boat bashing, I'm just pointing out some differences. Tracker is a good boat, but in this day and age there are better choices in my opinion for close to the same price.

Good luck,
    Matt Plapp

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe another good explaination for tracker being so popular as a used boat is because there were alot more sold as new for that model year. Law of averages would predict the more sold as new would equal more sold as used.Numbers may be a bit fuzzy.I shopped pretty hard before buying a tracker and honestly I am happy with the purchase. Been a very good boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt,

Have a website and/or e-mail address?